Cryptic food and drink

Brilliant. Sat down this morning to do the Azed in the Observer and discovered that the grid fails to match the clues. In fact, the grid makes absolutely no sense at all; for example 10 down has an 11-letter clue and there isn't even a 10 across in the grid, let alone a 10 down. Shouted abuse at the dimwit of a sub-editor who obviously couldn't be bothered to check. Eventually found the correct grid on the website.

This thing is hard enough work without all this palaver.

Brilliant. Sat down this morning to do the Azed in the Observer and discovered that the grid fails to match the clues. In fact, the grid makes absolutely no sense at all; for example 10 down has an 11-letter clue and there isn't even a 10 across in the grid, let alone a 10 down. Shouted abuse at the dimwit of a sub-editor who obviously couldn't be bothered to check. Eventually found the correct grid on the website.

This thing is hard enough work without all this palaver.
That's outrageous!

That's outrageous!

I've seen what they've done. It was, in a sense, the correct grid, but somehow they managed to truncate the columns so that the last two were missing. I printed it from the website where it was right and finished the crossword using that.

It's not the first time they've done this sort of thing. There have been times in the past where they put in completely the wrong grid. And Azed isn't infallible, either. I can recall one (in)famous occasion where he mixed up the meanings of the words rooikat and rooinek. Even if you don't speak Afrikaans, I'd have thought it was pretty simple to work out the difference.

Back
Top Bottom