Cryptic food and drink

I don't see the point in crossword clues that you can solve in 30 seconds (or less)

You need to think a bit laterally

OK - it must be guacamole.

The reason I took so long to solve it is because for some reason I don't think of it a starter. I know it can be served with tortilla chips as a dip but I thought (probably wrongly?) that it was usually served as an accompaniment to chilli and not on its own as a starter.

it must be guacamole.

Of course it is

I've certainly eaten it as a starter, but perhaps it was a bit unfair labelling it as such

If I was to recast the clue, perhaps I'd be more inclined to refer to 'going for a dip' or something

Anyway, it's September already - it must be your turn to come up with another clue

Nothing in molten rock - mixed spice? (7)

Excellent Madame Glory - what a very good clue.

I'm amazed it took me so long (well, I'm not really) but having finally solved the clue (and yes, I did have some help), I had to stand back and admire the elegance and precision with which you put it together. As a woman who is no longer with this once said about something completely different "such a satisfying clue !".

Excellent Madame Glory - what a very good clue.

I'm amazed it took me so long (well, I'm not really) but having finally solved the clue (and yes, I did have some help), I had to stand back and admire the elegance and precision with which you put it together. As a woman who is no longer with this once said about something completely different "such a satisfying clue !".

Oh! I thought it wasn't that good. I have another...

Revolutionary in busy cathedral city finds fruit (6)

Revolutionary in busy cathedral city finds fruit (6)

Interesting ….and perhaps more deceptively devious than I first thought.

On the face of it, there's only one 3-letter 'cathedral city' and only two obvious 3-letter 'revolutionaries' - but, try as I might, I can't fit them to make a fruit. Unless of course it's a fruit that I've never heard of ….

I will continue to reflect on this - and probably cover even more bits of paper with attempts at de-anagrammatising fruits of the world …

On the face of it, there's only one 3-letter 'cathedral city' and only two obvious 3-letter 'revolutionaries' - but, try as I might, I can't fit them to make a fruit. Unless of course it's a fruit that I've never heard of ….

Yep! I am sure you will have heard of the fruit. It may not be common in France, I'm not sure, but its not an obscure fruit.

Back
Top Bottom