Cryptic food and drink

Marmalade is how it is spelled in English. It maybe a foreign language issue. In German marmelade is word for jam, I think.

A fair cop. Je suis désolé… je me suis trompé. Perhaps I should start a new thread - French Cryptic Food and Drink.

However, there have been plenty of previous clues in this thread which feature "foreign" words as solutions.

Here's a longish, but fairly easy one.

Greyhounds rip kid to shreds - completely battered! (9,7)

The Guardian crossword had a clue reading "Greyhounds rip kid apart" this morning. I looked at it and thought, "That looks familiar," then realised that I'd done almost exactly the same clue way back. The lack of a definition is because there is a theme (food and drink) whereby some clues are not further defined.

Has the Guardian compiler been checking out Cooking Bites?

The Guardian crossword had a clue reading "Greyhounds rip kid apart" this morning. I looked at it and thought, "That looks familiar," then realised that I'd done almost exactly the same clue way back. The lack of a definition is because there is a theme (food and drink) whereby some clues are not further defined.

Has the Guardian compiler been checking out Cooking Bites?

I'm so out of practice that I can't solve it!

Well yes... you want me trawling back through 91 pages? :happy:

I used to do the crossword in the local paper here, a pommy guy from Birmingham I worked with 30 years ago got me onto the cryptic ones. I got stuck on a tricky one 1,4,5. Then a clue ........... I assumed the 1 was the letter a, what else could it be??? The clue was a meal. The answer was t bone steak. I didn't think outside the square. I remember it as if it was yesterday.
I'm still in touch with the guy even now, we got on really well. He lives in Brisbane now. We caught up about 3 years ago when I was over on the gc.

Russ

OK - its over a year sine anyone posted a cryptic clue. Here is a very, very easy one. Duck59 will get this straight away. For those not familiar with English cryptic crosswords, the main thing to remember is that you do not take the clue at face value.

Grain found in Arctic or Norway (4)
That's about my level.

Back
Top Bottom