Recipe Cuban Style Flan

blades

Local time
11:08 AM
Cuban Style Flan
Makes 6-8 servings

During WWII it was difficult to get fresh milk in Cuba. So Cubans turned to using canned milk to make flan, a favorite custard all over the Spanish speaking world.

Ingredients
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs,
2 capfuls of vanilla extract (about 1/2 tsp)
Juice of 1/4 lemon

Method
1. Put 1/3 cup of granulated sugar in a glass pie plate
2. Put it in the oven set to broil and watch it closely
3. When the sugar is liquid and caramelized remove it from the oven, swirl the caramlized sugar to coat the sides of the pie pan and allow to cool.
4. At this point the caramel will be hard and cracked.
5. Mix a can of evaporated milk, a can of sweetened condensed milk, 4 eggs, a couple of capfuls of vanilla extract and the juice of 1/4 lemon.
6. Pour the mixture in the pie pan and bake at 350 F for about a 1/2 hour or until the custard moves just a little when jiggled.
7. Cool and refrigerate

When you want to serve run a knife around the pan and invert the flan onto a dinner plate. At this point it will be covered with liquid caramel. Cut it like you would a pie. This was my grandmother's method from WWII. I've been making it all my adult life. Try it.

Cuban Style Flan
Makes 6-8 servings

During WWII it was difficult to get fresh milk in Cuba. So Cubans turned to using canned milk to make flan, a favorite custard all over the Spanish speaking world.

Ingredients
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs,
2 capfuls of vanilla extract (about 1/2 tsp)
Juice of 1/4 lemon

Method
1. Put 1/3 cup of granulated sugar in a glass pie plate
2. Put it in the oven set to broil and watch it closely
3. When the sugar is liquid and caramelized remove it from the oven, swirl the caramlized sugar to coat the sides of the pie pan and allow to cool.
4. At this point the caramel will be hard and cracked.
5. Mix a can of evaporated milk, a can of sweetened condensed milk, 4 eggs, a couple of capfuls of vanilla extract and the juice of 1/4 lemon.
6. Pour the mixture in the pie pan and bake at 350 F for about a 1/2 hour or until the custard moves just a little when jiggled.
7. Cool and refrigerate

When you want to serve run a knife around the pan and invert the flan onto a dinner plate. At this point it will be covered with liquid caramel. Cut it like you would a pie. This was my grandmother's method from WWII. I've been making it all my adult life. Try it.
Gee thanks. I had no intention to put someone to work over my grandmother's old recipe. I will be more careful with future recipes. It looks nice. I have evaporated milk and condensed milk in the cabinet. It will make a good evening project. :)

Gee thanks. I had no intention to put someone to work over my grandmother's old recipe. I will be more careful with future recipes. It looks nice. I have evaporated milk and condensed milk in the cabinet. It will make a good evening project. :)
No problem at all, it takes a little while to find your feet here, and you’re fitting right in, so when we on staff can help out a little, we’re glad to!

I’ve also bookmarked this one for myself. Sounds really good.

Back
Top Bottom