Cultural appropriation

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
6:36 AM
I haven't got time to read this ….but is the implication that there's something wrong with 'cultural appropriation' ?

I wouldn't be what I am without amassing/appropriating elements of other cultures. What's the point of life if you don't go out and experience it?

Oh, I've just realised - it's August isn't it - silly season ...forgive me

I heard this report on the radio 4 the other day. They interviewed a chef in a Jamaican restaurant in London - his main point was not that it was called 'jerk' but that if you read the ingredients it simply isn't 'jerk'. He felt that using the name was the problem as he felt it was being used as a selling gimmick rather than being accurate. It wasn't that he objected to Jamie calling something 'jerk' more that it simply wasn't jerk in his opinion.

Last edited:
vadit ad praedam victores

Other than that, to put a short reference of time when analyzing anything anthropogenic is useless.

Last edited:
@epicuric I've been giving this a lot of thought - well, at least 90 seconds' worth anyway - and I've decided that I prefer the term 'cultural misappropriation'.

This articulation of our mission - to gently rattle the cages of the culinary conservative - is summed up beautifully in that phrase. Along with the rest of the Subversive Baking team we were doing it anyway - but to think that we could define our naughtiness with such elegant wording has really made our Saturday morning. As well as the chance to wilfully use a few split infinitives.

@epicuric I've been giving this a lot of thought - well, at least 90 seconds' worth anyway - and I've decided that I prefer the term 'cultural misappropriation'.

This articulation of our mission - to gently rattle the cages of the culinary conservative - is summed up beautifully in that phrase. Along with the rest of the Subversive Baking team we were doing it anyway - but to think that we could define our naughtiness with such elegant wording has really made our Saturday morning. As well as the chance to wilfully use a few split infinitives.
Eloquently put, sir. Seldom are so many smiles contained in such few words!

Back
Top Bottom