Recipe Curried Pea Pastry Bites

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:53 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe following one or two links from various sites and stopped at this one thinking 'I know what will be going onto next week's menu'. They are similar to one I made a few months ago before my back went only healthier because they are made with of pastry and cooked in the oven rather than deep fried like the ones I made. The recipe comes from here, Kellies Food To Glow. The picture is from her site as well. I can recommend visiting it.

Curried Pea Pastry Bites

dsc_0469.jpg

Ingredients

200g/1 heaped cup petit pois or garden peas, frozen
5 spring onions/scallions, sliced
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp Tandoori masala or garam masala
4 heaped tbsp soft cheese/cream cheese (optional)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry/1 block of puff pastry rolled to 2 mm
Milk (or dairy free alternative), to glaze
Kalonji seeds (nigella/black onion seeds), to garnish (optional)

Method
  • Boil the peas until just cooked, drain and run under cold water, then put into a food processor.
  • Sauté the spring onions, adding the tandoori/garam masala once the onions are soft – about two minutes.
  • Add the now-spiced onion to the food processor, along with the soft cheese (if using) and lemon juice. Pulse until it is half smooth and half chunky.
  • Put some flour down on your work surface and lay out one of the pastry sheets. Cut out 3 inch diameter circles with a scone/biscuit cutter, or use a plastic or metal cup/glass. Repeat until the pastry sheet is fully used.
  • Add a tablespoon or two of the pea mixture to one half of each disc. Be careful not to over do it, you need to be able to fold over and seal each disc.
  • Fold over the pastry to form a half-moon and pinch to close. You can use a touch of water to help the pastry close if needed.
  • Repeat until you have used all the pea mixture or run our of puff pastry.
  • Brush on a little milk milk alternative and sprinkle over kalonji seeds, if using.
  • Bake the pies in a 200C/400F oven for 12-15 minutes, or until all are puffed and golden. Serve warm.

Not sure about putting cream cheese in them ,maybe some soft Cooked lentil or purred chic peas

For me I would omit that anyhow. It's probably for binding the ingredients together and could easily be replaced with some potato, then mash the ingredients rather than a food processor. Or I could replace them with some soaked pureed cashew nuts.

Fusion cookery! These are like a mix of samosas and pasties and they do look tasty! I like the thought of potato in there, rather than cream cheese though. Not too expensive to cook either.

Back
Top Bottom