Curry Delivery to Bordeaux...from a Restaurant in England

These are extreme examples, but I can kind of understand the where they're coming from. I think its only when you live abroad and simply can't get hold of certain foods that you start to really miss them. No matter how good the local cuisine is, sometimes you just want a taste of home.

I remember as a student in Austria being really excited that the new Irish pub in town had salt and vinegar crisps and baked beans. Its not even like I particularly missed salt & vinegar crisps or baked beans.....but after months of not having them, the simplest things become the most desirable things in the world. Same as when we lived in Cairo.....one of the first meals we'd have on a trip back to the UK was an Indian, and we'd freeze bacon and wrap it in paper and foil to insulate it in our case to take back with us.

Its not something that bothers me when travelling for work or holidays (as they only tend to be a couple of weeks), its more when you live somewhere and can't get your old favourites or comfort foods for month's at a time.

Same as when we lived in Cairo.
I lived in Cairo too and it was there I became pregnant with my eldest daughter. I developed a craving for baked beans and believe me, they were not easy to find. Eventually I found a small tin in a semi European grocery shop - the best baked beans I ever tasted!

I lived in Cairo too and it was there I became pregnant with my eldest daughter. I developed a craving for baked beans and believe me, they were not easy to find. Eventually I found a small tin in a semi European grocery shop - the best baked beans I ever tasted!

This reminds me of when I lived in Eritrea. Some British contractors were working in the same town as me for a while and one of them managed to acquire a load of stuff from a ship's kitchen. Quite how, I didn't like to ask, but I suspect that the ship's cook was finding a way to earn a bit of extra cash.

One of the things this chap got hold of was some tins of baked beans. When I say tins, I mean seriously big, catering size tins. He gave me one of these and I wasn't going to waste it. I was eating baked beans for about four or five days (visions of Blazing Saddles at this point) and since I didn't have a fridge, I managed to keep them cold by putting the tin right in front of the air-conditioning unit.

After boot camp and school my first Navy duty station was CINCLANTFLT (Commander In Chief Atlantic Fleet) in Norfolk, VA. Chesapeake Bay is know for blue point crabs and oysters. Sounded good to me. I asked around for advice on the best place to eat raw oyster. I was extremely disappointed. The server assured me that the oysters were large and salty. :eek: The oysters were the size of a quarter and the natural liquor had been washed off. In '82 $6 per dozen was expensive. I tried crabs at several restaurants. Again a disappointment. Small, not seasoned and nearly empty of meat.

I DID enjoy She Crab Soup - a white chowder made with lump crab meat instead of clams, seasoned with Old Bay seasoning. A lovely dish that I have replicated using lump crab meat and another version using Gulf Oysters. I also enjoyed Bay Scallops. I prefer sea scallops but the Bay Scallops were locally sourced and very nice.

When I returned home Mom and Dad hosted a seafood feast for the family - fresh shucked Gulf oysters Dad thought I would make myself sick when I sucked down 3 dozen without pause. Think oysters the size of a serving spoon. Seafood gumbo, boiled blue point crabs, crawfish etouffee, shrimp sauce picante and fresh caught, fried fish. :woot: I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

When I returned home Mom and Dad hosted a seafood feast for the family - fresh shucked Gulf oysters Dad thought I would make myself sick when I sucked down 3 dozen without pause. Think oysters the size of a serving spoon. Seafood gumbo, boiled blue point crabs, crawfish etouffee, shrimp sauce picante and fresh caught, fried fish. :woot: I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Sounds like my kind of heaven too!

Back
Top Bottom