SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:24 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
The hours when you can't sleep are not great, nor are coming across recipe after recipe for chocolate this, that and the other which you can't eat, so I rather like it when I find a recipe that intrigues me and I can eat... This one meets both of those conditions.

chocolate coconut pudding.jpg

Dark Chocolate Coconut Dessert

Makes about 4 to 6 servings depending on how generous you are feeling :D

Ingredients
  • 1 (14 oz/400 g) can full-fat coconut milk
  • ½ cup (40 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
  • ½ cup (120 ml) pure maple syrup
  • ¼ teaspoon instant coffee powder, dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water
  • ⅛ teaspoon coarse sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Method
  1. Whisk together the coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, dissolved coffee, and salt in a saucepan.
  2. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer 15 minutes, whisking frequently. (It should be thickened.)
  3. Turn off heat and whisk in the vanilla.
  4. Cool to room temperature (whisking occasionally to help the pudding cool more evenly),
  5. Transfer to suitable serving glasses and cool completely before serving.
  6. Serve chilled
Found here www.anediblemosaic.com/dark-chocolate-coconut-pudding-paleo-vegan/

Having been dabbling with chocolate recipes thanks to @classic33 and the Vegan Heartache Cake, I'm curious about this. Would it really look as dark and chocolatey as the photo? There us only 1/2 cup of cocoa powder in it... perhaps I'll give it a go. Do you think I could use almond milk instead of coconut milk?

Having been dabbling with chocolate recipes thanks to [B]@classic33[/B] and the Vegan Heartache Cake, I'm curious about this. Would it really look as dark and chocolatey as the photo? There us only 1/2 cup of cocoa powder in it... perhaps I'll give it a go. Do you think I could use almond milk instead of coconut milk?
'Ere don't go blaming me!

@morning glory Half a cup of cocoa powder is an awful lot in my book! That usually is about half to 2/3rds of a tin of cocoa powder isn't in? Well it is if you use green and blacks

14485233298481023855868.jpg

This tin was only recently opened and was about 2cm from the top. The measure is a cup, the last mark you can see before the cocoa is the 125ml mark so if I was aiming for a 1/2 cup I would have slightly more in there. So I reckon that is at the very minimum 1/2 a tub of cocoa powder to add to 1 cup of coconut milk! I reckon it will be that dark.

I'm more unconvinced about how thick it is going to get, but I guess that depends if the maple syrup something I don't have a lot of experience with because of its cost over here what with a small bottle costing over £5! Plus the tub of cocoa powder (ensuring it has no added sugar and no added milk products which they often do have).

I think you could probably make this twice with a tub of cocoa and a lot of maple syrup, there's £8 before the 2 cups of coconut milk which in the UK will set you back another £1.29 for a 200ml container or £1.99 for a 450ml tin

Quite. Nor do I know anyone heading your way in the near future.
So if I can think of a way to send some safely and relatively cheaply, how much would you like? 150/200ml?
Anything would be nice. I have never really tried maple syrup because of its cost. I could trade you some date syrup if you wanted. It is the really nice dark rich stuff that is think, not the runny meridian stuff. We could pay each other's postage. MyHermes have a set cost that is sensible of £2.60 under 1kg in weight and uninsured. Takes 4-5 days usually, though the parcel may be small enough and light enough to qualify for Royal Mail delivery...

I'll have some too if you really want rid of it @Shadow. :D
@morning glory Half a cup of cocoa powder is an awful lot in my book! That usually is about half to 2/3rds of a tin of cocoa powder isn't in? Well it is if you use green and blacks

View attachment 1957
I'm more unconvinced about how thick it is going to get, but I guess that depends if the maple syrup something I don't have a lot of experience with because of its cost over here what with a small bottle costing over £5! Plus the tub of cocoa powder (ensuring it has no added sugar and no added milk products which they often do have).

I think you could probably make this twice with a tub of cocoa and a lot of maple syrup, there's £8 before the 2 cups of coconut milk which in the UK will set you back another £1.29 for a 200ml container or £1.99 for a 450ml tin
I think you could substitute golden syrup for maple. possibly. Trouble is I don't like coconut milk. I'll try using substitutes. I don't see how it gets thick, either. We will see!

Here is a very bad photo of the result. It tasted OK. Custardy texture. I didn't think it was brilliant. It could be that using coconut milk produces a better flavour (I used almond milk):
DSCF2372.jpg

This sounds like a good dessert. I looks like a pudding and I love chocolate pudding.

Back
Top Bottom