Dark Soy Sauce?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:39 AM
Has anyone heard of it or have used this?

It is a very dark version of the regular soy sauce. I was going to make some Chinese shrimp fried rice, but found out that this is one of the key ingredients for it. It DOES make the rice a little darker. Your thoughts, please? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark soy sauce is very black and very salty. A little goes a long way. I have both light and dark soy sauce in the store cupboard. I often use a little dark soy in chilli which may be unconventional - but it works. A little added to any beef stew is good.

...I've just been researching this a bit and it seems that dark soy sauce is supposed to be less salty than light soy sauce. So - apologies for misinformation. The dark soy sauce I have is very salty. Maybe its not the real deal.

I have dark soy sauce. I wouldn't say it's less salty than the regular kind, but the flavour is deeper alongside the saltiness.

We generally use the dark version (although we have light). Stir fries mainly and as a condiment for fried rice.

Khow pad kai 5 s.jpg

Khow pad gai (egg fried rice).

My wife usually buys this brand (I don't know why).

soy sauce.jpg

I used to have a bottle of both light and dark. Hoe I have a 2 litre bottle of gluten free light soy sauce. Getting gluten free is difficult and Tamari, though gluten free, has a different taste.

Dark Soy Sauce..jpg

I saw THIS brand & others at Amazon.com. I'll look in the stores first when I'm ready to get it. :wink:

Pearl River is a brand mentioned as being good on a couple of blogs I use for Asian recipes.

I use dark soy sauce very often and prefer it to light say sauce. Dark soy sauce is thicker, darker and sweeter because there's molasses and cornstarch added to it (at least to some). It is great for marinades and cooking sauces. I love making pan fried chicken in a mixture of soy sauce, honey, oil and garlic. It is sticky and has a very rich flavour. Same mixture works great for oven baked salmon.

Back
Top Bottom