Decoding cryptic usernames

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
12:40 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
For some reason, I've gotten interested in usernames. Avatars, too, but I'm curious about the names. If someone has what's clearly a person's name, then it's probably obvious: you are that person (unless you call yourself Harry Potter, in which case I might be suspicious). I started by asking @Cinisajoy what her name meant, and she told me. I don't think it's too incriminating to reveal that Cin is short for Cindy.

I then turned my attention to @SatNavSaysStraightOn, who suggested that I start this thread. This seems like a better idea than having to send individual emails to everyone. When you think about it, this shouldn't be too bad: you picked that name for a reason, and it's public, so I imagine it isn't too much of a stretch that you wouldn't mind having the meaning public, too. So, please tell us what your username means, as well as why you chose your avatar. I'm looking forward to finding out what a number of these interesting pictures mean.

In case it isn't obvious, my username describes when I do 95% of my cooking: after everyone has gone to bed, so I can do so without being bothered! :) My latest picture is from my most recent employee badge (I work for Ford Motor Company). I can never seem to get a halfway decent pic if I take my own picture, so I'm happy that the lady in the badge services department had such a deft eye. :)

For some reason, I've gotten interested in usernames. Avatars, too, but I'm curious about the names. If someone has what's clearly a person's name, then it's probably obvious: you are that person (unless you call yourself Harry Potter, in which case I might be suspicious). I started by asking @Cinisajoy what her name meant, and she told me. I don't think it's too incriminating to reveal that Cin is short for Cindy.

I then turned my attention to @SatNavSaysStraightOn, who suggested that I start this thread. This seems like a better idea than having to send individual emails to everyone. When you think about it, this shouldn't be too bad: you picked that name for a reason, and it's public, so I imagine it isn't too much of a stretch that you wouldn't mind having the meaning public, too. So, please tell us what your username means, as well as why you chose your avatar. I'm looking forward to finding out what a number of these interesting pictures mean.

In case it isn't obvious, my username describes when I do 95% of my cooking: after everyone has gone to bed, so I can do so without being bothered! :) My latest picture is from my most recent employee badge (I work for Ford Motor Company). I can never seem to get a halfway decent pic if I take my own picture, so I'm happy that the lady in the badge services department had such a deft eye. :)
You live in Detroit and work for a car company. Totally mind blowing.
I don't mind you giving away my name.
Back when I created this name, symbols were not allowed yet. So how to read this is cin is a joy.
I collect smileys and hubby thought this inflatable water slide would make a good desktop. I liked it better as an avatar.
Anyway that is me.

*To those not in the US, Detroit is known as Motor City. At one time, nearly all American cars were made there.

That, too. Mo-Town, as you might guess, derived from Motor Town, which is a different way to way Motor City...but, Mocity just didn't have the same ring to it. The record label - Motown - gave the world something else to associate with Detroit (besides cars) that wasn't related to crime statistics. People from Detroit have historically had an inferiority complex when compared to other big cities: one of the greatest cities in the world - Chicago - has always been a regional rival, though the only thing we've actually been better than Chicago at has been sports (at times). But, I'm happy to say that things are really turning around lately. The downtown is exciting, and much better than I've seen it since arriving here in 1980. And, crime is down (somewhat).

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Yes, very interesting post.

Have a nice day and Thank you for the interesting read.

That, too. Mo-Town, as you might guess, derived from Motor Town, which is a different way to way Motor City...but, Mocity just didn't have the same ring to it. The record label - Motown - gave the world something else to associate with Detroit (besides cars) that wasn't related to crime statistics. People from Detroit have historically had an inferiority complex when compared to other big cities: one of the greatest cities in the world - Chicago - has always been a regional rival, though the only thing we've actually been better than Chicago at has been sports (at times). But, I'm happy to say that things are really turning around lately. The downtown is exciting, and much better than I've seen it since arriving here in 1980. And, crime is down (somewhat).
Chicago has had too many beans.

I would not have thought of Motown being shortened from Motor.
I will refrain from making a football reference as I don't want to get kicked out of Texas.

Oh and for a few weeks, your town was prominently showed on I think the History channel and not about cars or music.

You live in Detroit and work for a car company. Totally mind blowing.
I don't mind you giving away my name.
Back when I created this name, symbols were not allowed yet. So how to read this is cin is a joy.
I collect smileys and hubby thought this inflatable water slide would make a good desktop. I liked it better as an avatar.
Anyway that is me.

*To those not in the US, Detroit is known as Motor City. At one time, nearly all American cars were made there.

That is really funny as I thought your avatar was a novelty cake! :D

My username isn't really cryptic but it disguises my gender! I chose it since, having been a singer songwriter/performer (for over a decade), done stand up comedy, dabbled in watercolours, free verse poetry, improvised dressmaking and currently into upcycling....er....I felt I qualified for the name!

The avatar is one of my fav things to eat...fresh cherries dipped into organic dark chocolate....the combination is incredible!

My username isn't really cryptic but it disguises my gender! I chose it since, having been a singer songwriter/performer (for over a decade), done stand up comedy, dabbled in watercolours, free verse poetry, improvised dressmaking and currently into upcycling....er....I felt I qualified for the name!
It certainly sounds like it! Have you done any theater? I did for 20 years or so - acting, directing, set building, writing - before I had a family..,something about 3-4 rehearsals a week while working full-time that made things too difficult to manage.

Back
Top Bottom