Deep frying Chicken

Lol well as one who always finishes brisket in the oven just call me a blasphemer. But if you have an expensive and nice fryer it seems like a pain to have to use the oven too.

The fryer is pretty nice. I would have liked to go with a 220 watt unit but I would have had to run 220 in the kitchen.
I could have tapped into the oven power but then I couldnt use the oven and the fryer at the same time so I went with a standard 120 model.
You have to take out the baskets to do larger items like chicken but the baskets are great for fries,okra and other small items.

1663794637203.png

I've been BBQing for over 30 years and I BBQed in competitions for four years so I'm kind of a purist.
It's just my nature,I try and stay true in everything I cook.
Used to have a large Pitts and Spitts smoker but it's just too big for what I do these days and it was a wood hog.

Sold it and got a Lang reverse flow. It uses way less wood and is much easier to control temps.
I heard a lot about reverse flow pits and what they say is true,it almost totally eliminates hot spots.
View attachment 90623

View attachment 90624
Pretty sweet setup! I subscribe to doing things as lazily as possible. I always wrap my brisket after smoking, and it's pointless to keep it in the smoker after I wrap it, so in the oven it goes. Mmm brisket.

Pretty sweet setup! I subscribe to doing things as lazily as possible. I always wrap my brisket after smoking, and it's pointless to keep it in the smoker after I wrap it, so in the oven it goes. Mmm brisket.

If it gets to late and I need some shut eye,which happens a lot more often now that I'm getting old, I put it in the MAK2 Star General pellet pooper. It holds temps better than an oven. And it has a remote I can set on the nightstand that'll warn me if there's a problem or when it reaches your target temp in the brisket.
Most people dont realize that ovens have up to a 60 degree temp swing or + or - 30 degrees.
First time I read that I thought it was BS so I had to check for myself,and sure enough my oven ran at + or - 25 degrees.

If it gets to late and I need some shut eye,which happens a lot more often now that I'm getting old, I put it in the MAK2 Star General pellet pooper. It holds temps better than an oven. And it has a remote I can set on the nightstand that'll warn me if there's a problem or when it reaches your target temp in the brisket.
Most people dont realize that ovens have up to a 60 degree temp swing or + or - 30 degrees.
First time I read that I thought it was BS so I had to check for myself,and sure enough my oven ran at + or - 25 degrees.

Um, outside of BBQ circles, people may not know what a "pellet pooper" is. I had a Traeger. First time I used it, it caught on fire. Flames six feet in the air. I returned the charred remains. They didn't even ask me why. :laugh:

CD

Um, outside of BBQ circles, people may not know what a "pellet pooper" is. I had a Traeger. First time I used it, it caught on fire. Flames six feet in the air. I returned the charred remains. They didn't even ask me why. :laugh:

CD

I've heard good and bad about the Traegers.
The MAK's are supposed to be top of the line,I ended up paying around 5k for it after adding some of the extras.
I will say it cooks perfectly but like all pellet poopers it lacks in real BBQ flavor. It's kinda like BBQing with kiln dried wood,it's to damn dry and you lose that real wood smoke flavor.
Did these beef short ribs on it and while they were done to perfection they lacked that deep smokey flavor.

I've heard good and bad about the Traegers.
The MAK's are supposed to be top of the line,I ended up paying around 5k for it after adding some of the extras.
I will say it cooks perfectly but like all pellet poopers it lacks in real BBQ flavor. It's kinda like BBQing with kiln dried wood,it's to damn dry and you lose that real wood smoke flavor.
Did these beef short ribs on it and while they were done to perfection they lacked that deep smokey flavor.

View attachment 90667

View attachment 90668

View attachment 90669

I love beef ribs. I have a customer in Taylor, and his shop is a block away from Louie Mueller's. My favorite BBQ joint.

There is a dedicated Outdoor cooking, Camping and BBQ forum here at Cooking Bites. I'm sure you could contribute a lot.

I am a hobbyist BBQ guy, and a Weberhead. I used to have a whole family of Webers. Now I just have three -- my old redhead with Cajun Bandit rotisserie, a Smokey Joe Platinum (original Jumbo Joe), and a Genesis gasser. At just 21 years old, the Genesis is the younger member of the family.

Ten years ago...

WeberFamilyJune2012.jpg

CD

I love beef ribs. I have a customer in Taylor, and his shop is a block away from Louie Mueller's. My favorite BBQ joint.

There is a dedicated Outdoor cooking, Camping and BBQ forum here at Cooking Bites. I'm sure you could contribute a lot.

I am a hobbyist BBQ guy, and a Weberhead. I used to have a whole family of Webers. Now I just have three -- my old redhead with Cajun Bandit rotisserie, a Smokey Joe Platinum (original Jumbo Joe), and a Genesis gasser. At just 21 years old, the Genesis is the younger member of the family.

Ten years ago...

View attachment 90670

CD

I cut my teeth on those water smokers.
They turn out some pretty good BBQ.
I see you have the fan temp control on it.
How well do they work?

I cut my teeth on those water smokers.
They turn out some pretty good BBQ.
I see you have the fan temp control on it.
How well do they work?

It worked fine. There was a learning curve, as there is with any charcoal/wood burning smoker, but not that steep of a learning curve.

I just don't need a smoker that big for my own use. I can do a rack of ribs on my kettle.

CD

Back
Top Bottom