Depression

Here's my take on it I'm not really an expert on nutrition and such but I'll give it a go from my naive perspective. LOL. If I was depressed I'd forcibly make my meals really comforting and colorful-- just a lot of cheese, nuts, sweets and nutella. Any food that'll make you feel good and foods that you associate with a good childhood and happiness. My mother bakes a really good apple pie so apple pies make me really happy but I understand that depression can be caused from a hormonal imbalance so eat a lot of fruits that raise your happy hormones.

\I was diagnosed last year with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a depression brought on by excessive stress, undue strain on the body & mind, thoughts of suicide and uncontrollable crying most of the time.

It was caused by my ex-landlord, who became a evil mean & nasty bullying cowardly monster, because he was selling the building, bought a house in Florida and wanted myself and another tenant out! He was trying to evict us without taking us to court first. Things had gotten so bad with him, that I hired a lawyer to defend me. This individual was using threats, intimidation, retaliation, terrorization, violence and other cowardly criminal acts against us to try to scare us into leaving the apartments!

Even to the point where he unlawfully shut of the power several times at night and during the day. He even physically attacked me during an altercation, and then lied to the police! All of this torture has caused me to become depressed, sad and be an emotional wreck!! As a result, I am taking fluoxetine - a generic form of Prozac.

He even lied to the housing authority, saying that I owed him for back rent, kept the apt nasty and that I had attacked him first during the last confrontation with him! I had to go down there with my lawyer to get it straightened out because they had removed me off the occupancy list - believing that pathological liar! But in the end, they began to believe ME instead of him, and they put me back on the occupancy list. As it turns out, NONE of the mean & nasty things that he said about me were true.

I'm slowly recovering from all of that, but it will take some time to fully recover from it. :headshake::eek::stop:

Last edited:
I was diagnosed last year with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a depression brought on by excessive stress, undue strain on the body, thoughts of suicide
and uncontrollable crying most of the time.

It was caused by my ex-landlord, who became a bullying cowardly monster because he was selling the building and wanted myself and another tenant out! He was trying to evict us without taking us to court first. Things had gotten so bad that I hired a lawyer to defend me. This individual was using threats, intimidation, retaliation, terrorization, violence and other cowardly acts against me to try to scare me into leaving the apartment!

Even to thee point where he shut of the power several times at night and during the day. He even physically attacked me during an altercation, and then lied to the police! All of this torture has caused me to become depressed, sad and be an emotional wreck!! As a result, I am taking fluoxetine - a generic form of Prozac.

I'm slowly recovering from all of that, but it will take some time to fully recover from it. :headshake::eek::stop:

I'm sorry @Shermie. I noticed you hadn't been about for a bit. But its good you are back here and posting. We are all friendly here. No bullying allowed! Not that we would ever do that. Keep on cooking, posting and getting better. How is that budding chef nephew of yours?

I am sorry Shermie. It is always hard when things happen that are beyond your control. It is nice to see you again, and I hope you realize you are among friends, in whatever little way, I hope we can help here. God Bless!

Good essential oils work wonders. I would start by taking a Vitamin B complex. they will help to even and elevate you mood. also buy a diffuser and use lavender, or wild Orange, clary sage or grapefruit oils to diffuse into the air. also I would get some Balance blend from (doTerra) and Clary sage. in the morning and evening put 1 drop of each on your forearms and rub in. this will help to calm and balance you. for a quick mood lifter drop 1 drop of each Peppermint, Frankincense, and Wild Orange into the palms of your hands. rub them together to warm and mix the oils, then cup your hands (don't touch your face the peppermint can pretty fiery on the face.) inhale the vapors deeply. this will do three things one lift your mood, energize your mind and clear you sinuses. Good luck!

I'm sorry @Shermie. I noticed you hadn't been about for a bit. But its good you are back here and posting. We are all friendly here. No bullying allowed! Not that we would ever do that. Keep on cooking, posting and getting better. How is that budding chef nephew of yours?

Thanks, everyone!

It IS a struggle trying to get past that. I was a loyal tenant of his for 13 years! In all that time, he never acted the way that he did until he found out that he was getting a lot of green for that building!

He was a broke person who was always down on his luck, struggling to make ends meet, but we all got along very well. Then last year when money came into the picture, this SOB really became a first-class jerk!! Long story short, if I saw him laying on the sidewalk in dire need of emergency medical help, I'll step right over him and keep on walking!! :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone!

It IS a struggle trying to get pass that. I was a loyal tenant of his for 13 years! In all that time, he never acted the way that he did until he found out that he was getting a lot of green for that building!

He was a broke person who was always down on his luck, struggling to make ends meet, but we all got along very well. Then last year when money came into the picture, this SOB really became a first-class jerk!! Long story short, if I saw him laying on the sidewalk in dire need of emergency medical help, I'll step right over him and keep on walking!! :mad::mad::mad:

Shermie that is utter c**p what has been going on, I do hope things improve for you :hug:

You say that if he needed help you would step over him, where I come from the term is ' I wouldn't p**s on him if he was on fire'.

I was diagnosed last year with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a depression brought on by excessive stress, undue strain on the body, thoughts of suicide
and uncontrollable crying most of the time.

It was caused by my ex-landlord, who became a bullying cowardly monster because he was selling the building and wanted myself and another tenant out! He was trying to evict us without taking us to court first. Things had gotten so bad that I hired a lawyer to defend me. This individual was using threats, intimidation, retaliation, terrorization, violence and other cowardly acts against me to try to scare me into leaving the apartment!

Even to thee point where he shut of the power several times at night and during the day. He even physically attacked me during an altercation, and then lied to the police! All of this torture has caused me to become depressed, sad and be an emotional wreck!! As a result, I am taking fluoxetine - a generic form of Prozac.

I went through something similar. I also had PTSD, but it was from being a witness in a crime. I used to look down on myself for being such a wuss, panicking over something like that. I admire your strength. It takes a lot out of you experiencing this stuff. The road to recovery is always just out of reach. Just have to keep at it I guess.

I think it depends on the severity of the depression and on the person. Even when medicated, the dosage is different for each individual suffering depression. I have bipolar and the first thing that the doctor told me to avoid are drinking alcohol, any caffeinated drinks (coffee, some tea, energy drinks, soft drinks). I was told to watch the amount of chocolate that I eat as well. It may be good for your mood, but it also has some amounts of caffeine that disrupts sleep (in my case, one of my main triggers is lack of sleep or restless sleep). I also avoid eating too much processed food and prefer fresh and home made ones. Of course, eating right is not enough. Even if your love ones try not to medicate, please don't be afraid to tell them to seek help if they feel rubbish or in their lowest point in depression.

I have gone through bouts of depression that last few years and you really have to work hard to get yourself out of the funk. There are some days where I do not feel like going online and chatting with others because I just can't get into it. You need people though, especially when you are depressed. I had some issues within my family over the last few years and there are a lot of things I simply had to let go of just to keep my sanity. I have not had to take medication as of yet, but I have had to step back and find out who I was as a person again.

Thanks, everyone.

Never in my wildest dreams have ever imagine that the person I knew for 13 years would turn into a mean & nasty raging monster!!

Money change his attitude toward us and he wanted out. But he went about it all wrong, and for that, I will NEVER forgive him. Even if he BEGGED me to come to Florida & be his tenant again, I'd tell him where to go and what to do with his new house!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Liquorice Root is meant to be great for it, but you're not allowed to consume it in large amounts or for over two weeks at a time.

Liquorice Root is used as a sweetener in foods as a substitute for sugar on occasion. The amount of times I've got people to try liquorice root tea and they've asked "how much sugar is in this?!" for me to reply "absolutely none". It's not for some, but personally I like it and found that it helped a bit with depression, but not for a long term solution.

Liquorice Root is meant to be great for it, but you're not allowed to consume it in large amounts or for over two weeks at a time.

Liquorice Root is used as a sweetener in foods as a substitute for sugar on occasion. The amount of times I've got people to try liquorice root tea and they've asked "how much sugar is in this?!" for me to reply "absolutely none". It's not for some, but personally I like it and found that it helped a bit with depression, but not for a long term solution.
That is interesting. I had no idea about the tea. I had assumed, I guess like others, that it would be rather like liquorice.

Is it expensive at all?

I used to eat liquorice candy as a kid, but not now. There are certain liquors that have liquorice flavor in them, and I won't drink them either, because I HATE the taste of liquorice now.:headshake::stop:

Back
Top Bottom