Recipe Deviled Eggs - How do you create yours ?

Francesca

Local time
9:23 PM
This récipe hails from a 2002 Magazine called Bon Apetit which I had picked up at the Chicago Airport en route back to Spain after a travel tourism convention .. They are simply superbly splendid ..

Deviled Eggs with Smoked Salmon & Chives ..

24 large hard boiled eggs - peeled & sliced length wise and then halved ..
2 / 3 cup Crème Fraîche ( one can sub sour cream )
1 / 3 cup home made or store bought Mayonnaise
1 / 4 cup fresh chive ribbons
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 tsps. fresh lemon juice
2 / 4 tsp. salt
1 / 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
A few slices of minced Smoked Salmon
1 dried red horn shaped cayenne chili pepper or red pepper flakes

1 ) Carefully scoop the yolks from the egg halves into a large glass bowl ..
2) Finely chop the 4 egg White halves and add to the bowl.
3) Add the Fraîche to the glass bowl.
4) Now add the mayo, mustard, dried red chili pepper, salt and pepper, lemon juice and chive ribbons snipped very small ..
5) Arrange the rest of the hard boiled whites of the egg sliced in half on a platter or tray.
6) With a stand up mixer if you wish or by hand ( I do by hand ) combine all the ingredients in a glass bowl ..
7) Place in the White halved eggs ..
8) Garnish with a sprinkling of chive and smoked salmon strips ..

Place in refrig covered ..

Serve with assorted crackers of choice .. And a glass of Sparkling White or Rosé Cava or Prosecco .. An elegant Little appetiser ..

Last edited:
I love deviled eggs and have played around with various ingredients. I have used smoked salmon - lovely. I have used - not all at once- horseradish, ginger, capers, sweet pickles, different mustards, different peppers, garden herbs, garlic, different Aioli, smoked salmon, pancetta, finely grated cheese. Whatever strikes my fancy. A perfect vehicle for experimentation.

@ElizabethB

Me too .. My faves are smoked salmon or white tuna, what we call Ventresca. ( belly of the White tuna .. ) I buy it in jars stored in Bio Evoo ..

I just finished making them a little while ago for tonight´s dinner ..

Have a lovely New Year´s and all our best ..

I enjoy these sometimes although I call them egg tapas. They are very rich though.

tapas 2 s.jpg

The cooked yokes are mixed/mashed with mayonnaise, tomato puree, Tabasco and seasoning and returned to the half white each topped with a cooked prawn and sprinkled with paprika.

I love deviled eggs and have played around with various ingredients. I have used smoked salmon - lovely. I have used - not all at once- horseradish, ginger, capers, sweet pickles, different mustards, different peppers, garden herbs, garlic, different Aioli, smoked salmon, pancetta, finely grated cheese. Whatever strikes my fancy. A perfect vehicle for experimentation.
We used to eat devilled eggs often in the 1960s when I still lived with my Mum and Dad. I think it was one of those dishes that was all the rage at the time, and I've never had them since. Perhaps a bit of experimenting is in order.

Funnily enough, James Martin is making devilled eggs with Jason Plato in a TV programme this morning. Should be fun, although some of his previous attempts at making dishes in a car haven't been too bad.

Last edited:
One of these days I would like to have a 60's party - dress the part and serve food and drinks popular in the 60's. 60's décor. A fun theme party.

We used to eat devilled eggs often in the 1960s when I still lived with my Mum and Dad. I think it was one of those dishes that was all the rage at the time, and I've never had them since. Perhaps a bit of experimenting is in order.

Funnily enough, James Martin is making devilled eggs with Jason Plato in a TV programme this morning. Should be fun, although some of his previous attempts at making dishes in a car haven't been too bad.

Stuffed aggs are a bit retro that's for sure - but I love them. Well, I like anything with eggs (except overcooked scrambled eggs or overcooked omelettes).

Back
Top Bottom