Diabetic friendly cakes?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:45 AM
So our nephew's wife is in her 7th month of pregnancy and has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (which for those unfamiliar means it will go away after the baby is born). She has quite the sweet tooth and has a birthday coming up. Our dear nephew is having a little dinner party tomorrow and today sprung on me that he wanted to make her a diabetic-friendly carrot cake. He also has his 2 kids from his previous marriage this weekend, has to take one of those kids to a game today, clean the smoker and season it, and of course they have 3 dogs and 2 cats and have just moved into their house...so I offered to make her a cake. I warned him it's going to come from a box mix and I am going to doctor it up with other ingredients to turn it into carrot cake.

So I found a sugar free yellow cake mix from Pillsbury and a sugar free vanilla icing that I put on my grocery order for today. The from-scratch recipes recommend almond or other low-carb flours because regular flour converts to sugar quite easily. Don't have time for that, and it also has alcohol sugars instead of stevia or Swerve for sweeteners but I am hoping that I can mellow that out a little with the addition of the fresh carrot pulp and unsweetened coconut flakes, plus I am adding some no-sugar added crushed pineapple to it. No raisins--I hate raisins, and in fact, I dislike carrot cake. I also will put some pumpkin pie spice blend (purchasing today) in it since I dislike cloves, nutmeg, and ginger, so I don't keep those on hand. I have pecans on hand--typically people use walnuts but I don't like walnuts. So basically this cake is going to be tailored somewhat to my tastes and hopefully she will love it! I know that cream cheese frosting is typically used with carrot cake so I am hoping to whip some cream cheese into the pre-made frosting with a little stevia (I do have a small amount of that on hand) to brighten up the flavor. If anyone has any good ideas on a way to do this better, input would be appreciated.

If anyone has any suggestions on dessert ideas I would love to be able to pass them along to my nephew, as his dear pregnant wife with the sweet tooth still has 2 more months of pregnancy to go. Thank you in advance!

So our nephew's wife is in her 7th month of pregnancy and has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (which for those unfamiliar means it will go away after the baby is born). She has quite the sweet tooth and has a birthday coming up. Our dear nephew is having a little dinner party tomorrow and today sprung on me that he wanted to make her a diabetic-friendly carrot cake. He also has his 2 kids from his previous marriage this weekend, has to take one of those kids to a game today, clean the smoker and season it, and of course they have 3 dogs and 2 cats and have just moved into their house...so I offered to make her a cake. I warned him it's going to come from a box mix and I am going to doctor it up with other ingredients to turn it into carrot cake.

So I found a sugar free yellow cake mix from Pillsbury and a sugar free vanilla icing that I put on my grocery order for today. The from-scratch recipes recommend almond or other low-carb flours because regular flour converts to sugar quite easily. Don't have time for that, and it also has alcohol sugars instead of stevia or Swerve for sweeteners but I am hoping that I can mellow that out a little with the addition of the fresh carrot pulp and unsweetened coconut flakes, plus I am adding some no-sugar added crushed pineapple to it. No raisins--I hate raisins, and in fact, I dislike carrot cake. I also will put some pumpkin pie spice blend (purchasing today) in it since I dislike cloves, nutmeg, and ginger, so I don't keep those on hand. I have pecans on hand--typically people use walnuts but I don't like walnuts. So basically this cake is going to be tailored somewhat to my tastes and hopefully she will love it! I know that cream cheese frosting is typically used with carrot cake so I am hoping to whip some cream cheese into the pre-made frosting with a little stevia (I do have a small amount of that on hand) to brighten up the flavor. If anyone has any good ideas on a way to do this better, input would be appreciated.

If anyone has any suggestions on dessert ideas I would love to be able to pass them along to my nephew, as his dear pregnant wife with the sweet tooth still has 2 more months of pregnancy to go. Thank you in advance!
I don't have any diabetic cake advice to offer but thought wow thats a really nice thing to do!

The cake is actually pretty good. I made a few taster cupcakes and ate 2 of them last night. I think the cake is a little dense but tastes good. I'm a pretty good cook but never was much of a baker! Also decorating skills are non existent...
20240218_002551.jpg

The cake is actually pretty good. I made a few taster cupcakes and ate 2 of them last night. I think the cake is a little dense but tastes good. I'm a pretty good cook but never was much of a baker! Also decorating skills are non existent...
View attachment 110161

Looks fine to me, besides it more about the thought and effort you made.

Back
Top Bottom