Diana, Princess of Wales.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:02 PM
It was 20 years ago today that Diana, Princess of Wales died in Paris.

I was at a Malaysia Independence Day party in Shah Alam, Selangor when I heard the terrible news.

Do you remember where you were?

diana.jpg

I attended her service at the Saint George Anglican Church in the Madrid Capital .. I believe it was the 27th of August 1997, with the Tour Group from Chicago ..

Where was I when she was killed ?

I was flying to Madrid surely for a tour group .. As I found out at the Hotel .. And called a dear friend in Press to get us to be able to attend the Madrid Based Service for her ..

I admired her humanitarian labors with children in Africa & India very much ..

Last edited:
The only reason I recall the date was that I had only been back in the UK for less than a week after two years away. Prior to my returning home, I had been advised that it was possible I might have a sense of "reverse culture shock" for a short while. As it turned out, the only reverse culture shock I experienced was total disbelief at the mass hysteria of apparently normal people about someone they had never met.

Last edited:
IMHO I think it's time to let the poor woman rest in peace. Every few years the media kick up a storm and try to drag up as many grubby facts and ever more ridiculous theories about her and her death. She had children but as they are 'royals' it seems their feelings are irrelevant - they lost their mother - is it fair to keep ramming it down their throats and forcing them to remember what must have been a terrible time. If one of them wishes to speak out perhaps to help others in a similar situation then fine but otherwise let her death be a sad note in history not some sort of news festival.

Do you not agree with remembrance of the dead, whoever they are?

I know this is a broad generalization, but Eastern cultures revere their dead far more than Western cultures. I was mainly affected by her death because my wife - like some others I knew - was so completely taken by her. Even though it wasn't obsessed with her every move, I saw the tragedy of losing someone who did a lot of good in the world.

@sidevalve: I do agree with what you have to say. And, I believe it's not out of line with what Yorky said: it's one thing to remember, but it's another to have Special Reports at regular intervals just because we've been taught to remember things in multiples of 5.

Remembering is one thing but the tirade of press 'dirt digging' we have been subjected to since her death is quite another. A simple dignified mention in the news bulletins and a private service for her family - fine, but the recent 'revelations' and constant theories about her death [each more ridiculous than the last] begin to turn what should be a respectful memory into a media circus. Perhaps you [lucky] guys not in the UK manage to miss out on the [seemingly] never ending gutter press stories. I just believe if you can't say something good about the dead don't say anything at all and as the media are only, it appears, interested in lurid scandals she should be left to lie in peace.

@sidevalve

DITTO

I am generally at odds with the Mass Media. They make my blood pressure go up, give me heart burn and make me want to have a good stiff drink. Preferably a Vodka Martini.

Sometimes we just have to let go and let God take over.

I was very young when JFK was assassinated. Yes I remember where I was and what I was doing. I remember the many days after his death being glued to the television watching reports and his funeral. There is still an ongoing controversy and many conspiracy theories surrounding his death. Give me a break. At the time his presidency was considered America's Camelot. In hind sight he nearly got us into a nuclear confrontation with Cuba and was a womanizing cad. Not to be disrespectful but the truth is the truth.

9/11 is another issue. OMG The Horror!

I listen to politicians and the media today and wonder if they live under a rock. How quickly they have forgotten. Terrorism is alive and well here and all over Western Europe.

So Sorry. Every now and then I get on a rant. I know that is not appropriate for this forum.

I need a Martini.

So Sorry. Every now and then I get on a rant. I know that is not appropriate for this forum.

Its fine to have a rant! The things we object to here are abusive behaviour towards others, outright rows breaking out between members and/or racist/homophobic/sexist etc. comments.

I sometimes have a rant too! My rant drink of choice would be... well whatever is close to hand. :laugh:

And, if thou prate of mountains, let them throw Millions of acres on us, till our ground, Singeing his pate against the burning zone, Make Ossa like a wart! Nay, an thou'lt mouth, I'll rant as well as thou. (Hamlet)

I was at home. I went to put the TV on to watch a particular programme, which of course had been cancelled. I immediately phoned my daughter to turn her TV on. She loved everything Diana. Me? I couldn't stand the woman, in spite of all the good things she did or was connected to. The fact that today is the 30th "birthday" of the Docklands Light Railway is more interesting to me. I used to work there while they were building the first part of it. The job had already finished by the time it was actually running.

@ElizabethB
I was on my way to meet my friends at a local coffee bar the day Kennedy was shot. He was alive when I left home, and dead by the time I got there.
And 9/11 I was at work in a day ward for the elderly. The TV programmes were interrupted by the film of the first plane hitting the first tower. My work colleagues were struck dumb - not by the attack, but by the fact that I had already told them about it the day before. I also told them about the Concorde crash the day before it happened, and certain other events over the time I was working there. Even the consultants I worked for referred to me at the witch!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom