Diet Coke Chicken

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
2:20 PM
I'm not sure why this work but it does. Super quick and tasty. I serve it with rice but it would work well with mash potato, or roasties I think.

Not my recipe its a Slimming World and I found it trawling a magazine left in the kitchen in work. It intrigued me so I decided to give it a try and I was pleasantly surprised.

Source: Slimming World Recipes Online

Diet cola chicken is one of Slimming World's most popular and versatile dishes. Don't miss this tasty recipe video to see how quick and easy it is...

ingredients
  • Low calorie cooking spray
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, 1 yellow and 1 green pepper, chopped into chunks
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 tbsp tomato purée
  • 8 tbsp passata with onions and garlic
  • 1 tbsp dark soy sauce/tamari
  • 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
  • 330ml can diet cola
  • 200ml chicken stock
  • 200g sugar snap peas
method
  1. Place a large pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a high heat.
  2. Add the chicken, peppers and onion and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
  3. Add the diet cola, stock, passata, tomato purée, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and dried mixed herbs and stir well.
  4. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
  5. Add the sugar snap peas, stir and increase the heat to medium-high.
  6. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the veg is tender.

IMG_1592.JPG
Interesting. I've heard of cooking ham in cola but not chicken. I suppose its diet cola to save on calories?

I love ham in coke which is why I thought I'd give this a try. I assume it's Diet Coke because it's slimming world.

Apparently you can change it to diet orange or diet lemon (Fanta I presume) to make it a little different. Haven't tried that yet but probably will at some point.

Very nice! Wow...it looks delicious, and ingredients are as light as you could possibly imagine (even lighter if you make your own stock). I, too, have seen recipes that use regular cola, but this is a first. Since the only cola I drink is diet anyway, I have a ready supply in case I want to make it sometime. Thank you for sharing!

View attachment 10627

I love ham in coke which is why I thought I'd give this a try. I assume it's Diet Coke because it's slimming world.

Apparently you can change it to diet orange or diet lemon (Fanta I presume) to make it a little different. Haven't tried that yet but probably will at some point.

It looks great! I now want to try it even more. I imagine using Fanta would result in something rather different.

Very nice! Wow...it looks delicious, and ingredients are as light as you could possibly imagine (even lighter if you make your own stock). I, too, have seen recipes that use regular cola, but this is a first. Since the only cola I drink is diet anyway, I have a ready supply in case I want to make it sometime. Thank you for sharing!

Let me know what you think of it after you try it.

Back
Top Bottom