Dim Sum

Those last 2 pictures are from a fusion contest. My Bishop's hats, the round ones, they sort of look like bishop's hats viewed from the side, are a Cajun/Korean fusion based on shrimp and grits, with a small batch of kimchi made to match as part of the filling. The sauce was based on a cajun brown sauce with some Korean flavors.

The crescents were a Cuban/Korean fusion based on a traditional Cuban sandwich, and again a small batch kimchi fusion made to match. The sauce was a lime juice, cilantro, agave concoction, not truly Cuban, but at least Caribbean.

It was fun to do the fusions, but even a more traditional filling and sauce cook along would be fun.

Last edited:
I think 1 of the things I like best about dim sum is they can be filled with beef, pork, poultry, seafood, vegetarian, or vegan fillings.

What's really great is if you want something special like scallops or lobster, you don't need a whole lot to make a lot of filling.

One of our favorite fillings is shrimp or scallops minced finely with corn nibs, finely chopped, skinned red bell pepper, with a bit of very finely shredded cabbage, which is mainly there to keep the filling texture light (same with the pork, though a higher cabbage percentage is used since minced pork is denser).

We like to keep 2 or 3 fillings in the freezer, along with the premade wrappers so all we have to do is defrost, then I fill and shape while Craig starts the sauces, then we cook.

I think 1 of the things I like best about dim sum is they can be filled with beef, pork, poultry, seafood, vegetarian, or vegan fillings.

Indeed - and I'm thinking that Dim Sum is an ideal subject for the Cookalong for that reason.

What's really great is if you want something special like scallops or lobster, you don't need a whole lot to make a lot of filling.

Yes - they are very economical and so versatile. I will have to source some wraps...

I don't think I've met any dim sum I don't like...

I make pork mince ones with chopped water chestnut, ginger, soy & chives. We usually have them in chicken broth with a lot of Asian greens.

Back
Top Bottom