Dish for the next Cookalong

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:52 PM
The Ravioli Cookalong feature has been very interesting with lots of excellent discussion and cooking! It is about to close, so we need to decide on a new recipe/dish to cook along to. Below are some of the suggestions that have been made to date. (V) indicates vegetarian options. The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques. The choice of Ravioli has been a learning curve for quite a few of us, which is the point really. Here are the suggestions:

Rogan Josh
Crab Cakes
Croissants (V)
Tagine (V)
Chicken Kiev
Chinese Dumplings (V)
Falafel (V)
Chocolate truffles (V)
Bagels (V)
Chocolate Fondant (V)
A dish which includes home-made filo pastry V)
Boeuf Bourguignon

Please feel free to give your preferences to one of the above or add thoughts and other suggestions. I'll give this a few days - then we decide!

Last edited:
I hate to be only negative when suggestions are made. Better to focus on what you do like, eh?

But...

(like a Great British Menu veteran's hanging ''But...")

Falafel (V)

For some reason, I've heard this word a lot lately... but I have absolutely no idea what it is. It always sounds to me like someone's failed attempt to pronounce something completely different.

A dish which includes home-made filo pastry V)

Hah! I can't make shortcrust. What chance filo?

Chinese Dumplings (V)

Chinese dumplings? Vegetarian? You've had different Chinese dumplings than the one's I've ever had.

Trying to be more positive, Rogan Josh would be my nomination out of that list. But hey, I'm willing to try almost anything. But filo pastry? Really? Vegetarian Chinese dumplings? What? Falafel. Que?

Trying to be more positive, Rogan Josh would be my nomination out of that list. But hey, I'm willing to try almost anything. But filo pastry? Really? Vegetarian Chinese dumplings? What? Falafel. Que?

The new suggestions above are based on recent suggestions in the Ravioli thread. Please do add suggestions here if you have any.

Falafel is a popular Egyptian and Israeli food - balls formed from soaked raw chickpeas and/or beans. You can buy them readymade in most supermarkets. See here: How to cook the perfect falafel | Life and style | The Guardian

Chinese dumplings can be filled with meat, fish or vegetables. I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn who made the suggestion was meaning making them with pre-prepared wrappers. These could be hard to find but I can get them frozen.

Filo is something I've never tried. I wouldn't mind having a go but I agree it is rather daunting to say the least!

Last edited:
Falafel is a popular Egyptian and Israeli food - balls formed from soaked raw chickpeas and/or beans. You can buy them readymade in most supermarkets. See here: How to cook the perfect falafel | Life and style | The Guardian

Seriously, excellent link. I am left feeling that I really would like to have a go. My one reservation is the bit she says about them being better deep fried as opposed to shallow fired. If I make them, it will be shallow fried. Anyway, nice piece of dispelling my prejudices. Falafel is a fine suggestion by me.

Seriously, excellent link. I am left feeling that I really would like to have a go. My one reservation is the bit she says about them being better deep fried as opposed to shallow fired. If I make them, it will be shallow fried. Anyway, nice piece of dispelling my prejudices. Falafel is a fine suggestion by me.
I tried to make them once but wasn't too happy with the result so it could be interesting to have another bash!

Sincé it is summer and quite warm, I would consider lighter and cooler options:

1) Hummus.
2) Dolmades ..
3) Babaghanuj.
4) Tabbouleh ..
5) The Waldorf Salad ..
6) Salad Niçoise ..
7) Home Made Cole Slaw ..
8) Eggs Benedict ..
9) Antipasto ..
10) Fruit Salad ..
11) Pasta Salad.
12) Potato Salad ..
13) Russian Olivier Salad ..
14) Spanish Russian Salad ( Ensaladilla Rusa ) ..
15) Lobster or Crab Meat Salad, Egg Salad, Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad ..

Last edited:
Sincé it is summer and quite warm, I would consider lighter and cooler options:

1) Hummus.
2) Dolmades ..
3) Babaghanuj.
4) Tabbouleh ..
5) The Waldorf Salad ..
6) Salad Niçoise ..
7) Home Made Cole Slaw ..
8) Eggs Benedict ..
9) Antipasto ..
10) Fruit Salad ..
11) Pasta Salad.
12) Potato Salad ..
13) Russian Olivier Salad ..
14) Spanish Russian Salad ( Ensaladilla Rusa ) ..
15) Lobster or Crab Meat Salad, Egg Salad, Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad ..

That is a long list @Francesca! It might be more useful to identify one or two dishes which you personally would like to cook to extend your skills and knowledge. The Cookalong feature is all about us learning higher level skills and experiencing cooking new dishes. Which classic or regional dish would you personally like to learn to cook?

Last edited:
That is a long list @Francesca! It might be more useful to identify one or two dishes which you personally would like to cook to extend your skills and knowledge. The Cookalong feature is all about us learning higher level skills and experiencing cooking new dishes. Which classic or regional dish would you personally like to learn to cook?

@morning glory,

Okay. I shall think this over .. I will let you know tomorrow ..

Have a lovely evening ..
12am here .. Back to work tomorrow ..

Back
Top Bottom