Dish for the next Cookalong

Chinese dumplings can be filled with meat, fish or vegetables. I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn who made the suggestion was meaning making them with pre-prepared wrappers. These could be hard to find but I can get them frozen.
No, I was taking about chinese dumplings. I think you are mixing them up with the rice rolls we were discussing that you thought used rice paper (and don't here at least).
I was talking about making the dumpling 'pastry' and any filling you want (seafood, meat, veg, etc) and then steaming them properly as they are done in Chinese restaurants.

example21.jpg
these are the rice things.. only they are normally served about 20cm long here, and eaten as though they are a sausage roll for want of a better explanation. Even the supermarket has an outlet that makes them $3 each or 2 for $5. they are a cheap and nice lunch.

steamed.jpg example.png
These are the chinese dumplings I am talking about. There is no reason as to why they can not have any filling. They are steamed, not boiled and I suspect use rice flour instead of 00 flour. but could be too close to ravioli though they would actually make a nice change.

there are too many options otherwise which I can not participate in (vegetarian is not what I am looking for being fatally allergic to dairy!) and cashew nut cheese does not switch out for ricotta. Philadelphia, cream cheese, curd cheese even but not ricotta. There is an almond cheese that I think can be made to resemble ricotta but....

My vote would go with Falafels.

Seriously, excellent link. I am left feeling that I really would like to have a go. My one reservation is the bit she says about them being better deep fried as opposed to shallow fired. If I make them, it will be shallow fried. Anyway, nice piece of dispelling my prejudices. Falafel is a fine suggestion by me
Ken, authentic ones are deep fried yes, you can shallow fry and you can even make them very successfully in the oven, baked as well.

Dolmades sound good. I just don't know where a grape vine is.

@Cinisajoy

Texas is grape producing ( wine producing ) .. As a matter of fact, they have won some awards for their red wines.

I am sure you could find a winery that would sell you some grape leaves or you can check Amazon Greek Section. They are jarred in Evoo ..

Have a lovely day ..

@morning glory,

As per our chat yesterday, from your list : Chicken Kiev would definitely be my 1st choice ..

It is an amazingly incredible Ukranian Classic .. Though I have never travelled to Kiev or Russia, I had eaten it in Bucharest, Romania and The Russian Tea Room of Manhattan ..

Dishes I have had & would love to créate:

My 2nd choice would be: Trout Choucroute from Alsace ..

My 3rd selection would be : Sicilian Canolli with Marsala Wine ..

Well, in trying to get people to come here from sites that will be closing this year. I'm met with the response that it's "too much like the one we're on".

Which means they'll be going elsewhere when the sites close. The Oliver site isn't the only one going this year. Cheftalk is moving, due to the basic platform it's built on, being withdrawn. There's some unhappy with the move, which has to be done. Whether I stay on it when & if it reopens remains to be seen.

Last edited:
@Cinisajoy

Texas is grape producing ( wine producing ) .. As a matter of fact, they have won some awards for their red wines.

I am sure you could find a winery that would sell you some grape leaves or you can check Amazon Greek Section. They are jarred in Evoo ..

Have a lovely day ..
I have to say you gave me a laugh. I know Texas has some vineyards. You just made a very common mistake in assuming that because I am in Texas I would be close to a vineyard. I am 287 miles (461 km) from the nearest vineyard.
Now as per canned grape leaves, I have had the real thing as a kid so no way would I used packed in oil grape leaves. My dad's boss when I was a kid had a grapevine. Mom would go get the leaves.
I just googled. Our stores do not sell even the canned ones. And I am not paying $8 plus shipping for a 16oz can.

@Cinisajoy

I had no idea what part of Texas you were from and did not seriously look at a map to see where the majority of the wineries are.

The Grape leaves imported to the Usa, that I am discussing, are in Jars, not cans !

You were / are lucky that you have had access via your Mom for Grape leaves.

Have a nice day ..

@Cinisajoy

I had no idea what part of Texas you were from and did not seriously look at a map to see where the majority of the wineries are.

The Grape leaves imported to the Usa, that I am discussing, are in Jars, not cans !

You were / are lucky that you have had access via your Mom for Grape leaves.

Have a nice day ..
No problem. Even if you look at a Texas map, you have to know the scale. The free paper version 2.5 cm is about 33 km. I have been on the internet nearly 20 years. I wish I had a nickel (5 centavos) for every time someone said oh cool, you are both in Texas, you can have lunch together. Or some other reference like that or what you did. I am used to it and just giggle.
The thing is people have no concept of how big Texas really is. We could fit both the UK and Spain and Portugal in Texas with room left over.
I couldn't find any jarred grape leaves that weren't mega expensive.
Now I may call the former boss' grandson and ask if the vine is still there. Oh wait, will more than likely have to be next year unless I want holey grape leaves. We had a bad storm a few days ago.

No, I was taking about chinese dumplings. I think you are mixing them up with the rice rolls we were discussing that you thought used rice paper (and don't here at least).
I was talking about making the dumpling 'pastry' and any filling you want (seafood, meat, veg, etc) and then steaming them properly as they are done in Chinese restaurants.

8055-079f8e7a59dfa5646a6d4a0a76298e97.jpg
these are the rice things.. only they are normally served about 20cm long here, and eaten as though they are a sausage roll for want of a better explanation. Even the supermarket has an outlet that makes them $3 each or 2 for $5. they are a cheap and nice lunch.

8056-778bb1baf4ccdf632fb6608e388e6a45.jpg 8057-a15311d780f861659f191d65904b79ff.png
These are the chinese dumplings I am talking about. There is no reason as to why they can not have any filling. They are steamed, not boiled and I suspect use rice flour instead of 00 flour. but could be too close to ravioli though they would actually make a nice change.

The ones pictured directly above are what I was referring to and they are the type normally known as Chinese Dumplings as you say. They are in rice wrappers which can be bought frozen. I didn't confuse them with the rice rolls. Making the rice wrappers from scratch would be quite difficult, I suspect, if that is what you mean.

No problem. Even if you look at a Texas map, you have to know the scale. The free paper version 2.5 cm is about 33 km. I have been on the internet nearly 20 years. I wish I had a nickel (5 centavos) for every time someone said oh cool, you are both in Texas, you can have lunch together. Or some other reference like that or what you did. I am used to it and just giggle.
The thing is people have no concept of how big Texas really is. We could fit both the UK and Spain and Portugal in Texas with room left over.
I couldn't find any jarred grape leaves that weren't mega expensive.
Now I may call the former boss' grandson and ask if the vine is still there. Oh wait, will more than likely have to be next year unless I want holey grape leaves. We had a bad storm a few days ago.

What part of Texas are you residing in ? The largest city closest to you ?

Just curious ..

I have a Chef friend who was born in El Paso, a Restaurateur I know who authored and founded the 1st Mexican Restaurant in Europe in the 1970s, who was born and raised in San Antonio and a Travel Agent contact in Houston.

Have never been to Texas however, I have been to Santa Fe, New Mexico and Taos, which was a detour of a mini mini vacation when I was in San Francisco a few years ago .. And we could not resist .. Beautiful región ..

Have a nice afternoon.
22.15 Here ..

What part of Texas are you residing in ? The largest city closest to you ?

Just curious ..

I have a Chef friend who was born in El Paso, a Restaurateur I know who authored and founded the 1st Mexican Restaurant in Europe in the 1970s, who was born and raised in San Antonio and a Travel Agent contact in Houston.

Have never been to Texas however, I have been to Santa Fe, New Mexico and Taos, which was a detour of a mini mini vacation when I was in San Francisco a few years ago .. And we could not resist .. Beautiful región ..

Have a nice afternoon.
22.15 Here ..
Nearest actual city would be either El Paso or Fort Worth. 250 miles either west or east. San Antonio is 350 miles and Houston is 400 or so miles. I am in the Midland/Odessa area.
As to New Mexico, I lived in Albuquerque for a bit and we are about 2 hours from Carlsbad Caverns.

So with the current cookalong ending on Monday, what are the options and what are people all voting for?

Currently as far as I can see, the only votes are for Chicken Kiev (their could be vegan options in this, I'm not sure) or Falafels.

I could do the Chicken Kiev easily.
But my vote is for Falafel so everyone can participate.

Back
Top Bottom