DIY frozen veggie bags

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
9:14 AM
I find that frozen vegetables are the most convenient way to have hem because you can just thaw out what you are going to eat right now and you don't have to worry about them spoiling if you aren't fast enough.

I recently got a large bag full of the first of this years bell peppers and some other similar peppers. What I did was chop up all of them at once and lightly sauté them in a huge frying pan. Then let them cool completely and freeze in a bag. That way they are all prepared and their nutritional value will not decrease and all I have to do is thaw a portion when I'm ready to eat them.

It's such a smart idea to do that, and it's always nice knowing that no vegetables are going to waste.

I'm one of those people that hates throwing out food (I just feel so wasteful and also it's like throwing money down the drain!) so I often do that with veggies too when they're going to go bad within a few days. Stir fry them a little, and freeze them up. No waste and super convenient.

I freeze fruits,but only freeze peas and broad beans,I don't like the texture of a lot of frozen veg

I freeze fruits,but only freeze peas and broad beans,I don't like the texture of a lot of frozen veg

I'll always prefer fresh if I have the option, but sometimes frozen are good for convenience, especially when some things are out of season. And definitely I'd prefer to freeze veggies than see them in the bin! But yes I get what you mean about the texture. Most veggies seem more watery to me once they've been frozen.

I usually overcook, so that I can freeze the leftovers, and have a ready meal when I need one. I recently saw an article discussing how the author buys in bulk, and portions out the raw meat and vegetables . Then, when she plans to cook dinner, she'll pull out a bag and thaw it. It stated that the high cooking temperatures and freezing temperatures would keep any health issues at bay, but even if that's the case, I don't think I could mix raw meat and veggies. I do like having frozen veggies on hand, as well as previously cooked meals, since they save time, especially on weeknights.

I have also started freezing my excess veggies over the last few months as I hate waste. The only downfall is that they sometimes are mushy when you thaw them out, so I add them to food as I am cooking it because cooked veggies get mushy anyway. I would like to learn how to flash freeze so that the veggies retain their vibrant color.

I have also started freezing my excess veggies over the last few months as I hate waste. The only downfall is that they sometimes are mushy when you thaw them out, so I add them to food as I am cooking it because cooked veggies get mushy anyway. I would like to learn how to flash freeze so that the veggies retain their vibrant color.
You just need to 'blanch' them for 2 to 3 mins. That just means plunging into boiling water. If you want to stop the veg clumping together in the bags, use 'open freezing'. Drain the blanched veg well and spread out on a baking tray and put in freezer. When frozen place them in the bag. I don't do this as I never have room in my freezer for a baking tray! I just blanch, drain and cool and place in bags. Fruit doesn't need blanching.

I once had a friend who bought a packer - a gadget that takes away the air in the plastic bag so the vegetable is wrapped in a vacuum. She said that it extends the freshness of the vegetable for another day. So a broccoli that remains fresh in the fridge for 2 days can last a 3rd day of freshness. But with freezing the vegetables, she told me that only cabbage is fit for that - freeze a cabbage and dip in boiling water before serving.

I am right there not loving the texture of frozen veg a lot of the times. I likely won't even buy a very large bag of them. On the odd occasion I'll pick up some when in the supermarket or ask my husband to pick up a small pack when he's shopping. Freezing fruits? I have never thought to do that,

Back
Top Bottom