Do you bake bread - and if not, would you like to do so?

Do you bake bread?

• Yes, regularly

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Quite often

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No, it frightens me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't have time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I would like to

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:46 PM
We don't seem to have that many members here who make their own bread - but perhaps that is just my impression. Do you bake bread - if so, what types? And if not, why not? Join in the poll and tell us what types of bread you would like to learn to cook.

Last edited:
I bake various types of bread. Sometimes ethnic breads to go with ethnic meals, sometimes bread to eat with meals/for croutons/for fondue, etc. Just depends on what kind of bread I need.

I bake various types of bread. Sometimes ethnic breads to go with ethnic meals, sometimes bread to eat with meals/for croutons/for fondue, etc. Just depends on what kind of bread I need.

I can add options to the poll if none are appropriate to you. But I have to do it pronto before others join in...

I used to make a whole raft of different breads. Over the course of this summer I started playing with a couple of new ingredients and a new technique (grâce à Morning Glory) and I've found a bread that I like to the exclusion of all others, and which my neighbours enjoy very much.

So I make pane saraceno 2 or 3 times a week, and a 600g loaf is enough for two households for two or three days.

The effort that goes into making this is minimal - 5 or 6 minutes, including weighing the flour, slapping, kneading & shaping, putting it into the oven - and overall it takes in the region of 3 to 3.5 hours from start to finish.

Pane saraceno 27092018.JPG

Pane saraceno 27092018 inner 2.JPG

Does making honey/banana/whole wheat bread (maybe two or three times a year) in a bread machine count?

We are huge fans of all kinds bread in my house, so I would love to learn to make a properly baked bread in an oven.

I've been looking at a recipe for a bread called the " New York Times no-knead" bread from a few years back. I also fit the category, then, of not enough time

Does making honey/banana/whole wheat bread (maybe two or three times a year) in a bread machine count?

I think it counts. A bread machine is a useful thing.

We are huge fans of all kinds bread in my house, so I would love to learn to make a properly baked bread in an oven.

I've been looking at a recipe for a bread called the " New York Times no-knead" bread from a few years back.

I've seen a few recipes for no knead bread and tried it once or twice. Maybe I even posted one here (?). It can work. I'm on the case tomorrow...

I make all sorts of bread.

Naan quite often, focaccia too.

I’ll make a basic instant yeast dough (from Jamie’s 2nd book) and roll it out & add cheese, spinach etc and roll up then cut into “snails” and bake in a big cake tin as a pull apart type affair.

I did a sour dough course but I lost interest in it. I was never thrilled with the results.

The no knead breads have great crust in my experience.

The no knead bread I made was a disaster. I honestly wouldn't recommend it it to a novice baker as it is a very wet dough and extremely difficult to handle. I ended up using a dough scraper to lift it off the counter and into the tin. I'll post a few photos here... but the result - although it didn't look too bad had a very unpleasant texture to eat - sort of rubbery somehow. And it didn't taste very pleasant either - rather bland.

No. Not because I don't have the time, or it frightens me. I do like bread, but try to watch the carbs. Bread baking simply hasn't interested me. I was not one who grew up with bread on the table at every meal. Bread is also one of the least expensive items at the market. However bagels, which I adore, have increased in price significantly. I rarely eat pizza, so I don't make dough either. There is nothing like the aroma of home baked bread though. There used to be a place that sold freshly baked loaves of cinnamon raisin bread. They were to die for. Didn't even need any butter. Cheese-y garlic bread is wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom