• I don't dip at all

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:01 PM
Here, I mean 'double dipping' whilst cooking; putting the spoon from which you have tasted, back in for another taste. This means your 'germs' have been transferred to the pot.

I do it all the time! But that is when cooking for family. I wouldn't expect a chef in a restaurant to be doing that. But...would you do this if cooking for friends?

And back to the question in hand.

Yes, but only when cooking for family AND when I am not ill. I work on the grounds that in all probability my cooking will kill the germs and the heat should kill some of them anyhow. Plus there is that living in the same house thing whereby I get what he has anyhow... :whistling:

In tasting the dish you mean? We normally cook just one dish for our regular meals. But when there is an occasion, of course, there's plenty of dishes. The pots have a saucer beside with a ladle on top. That is used for getting food into plates. One ladle per dish so there is no contamination. It is common in buffet restaurants to see one ladle being used for 2 dishes. That's very unsanitary.

Now, with the tasting of the dish while cooking, we usually taste the dish with a spoon. You are right, germs might have contaminated the used spoon so we avoid re-using it for tasting purposes.

If I decide to taste it I always use another spoon. I never use the same spoon twice. I know others do and it doesn't matter to me but I just can't do it.

In tasting the dish you mean? We normally cook just one dish for our regular meals. But when there is an occasion, of course, there's plenty of dishes. The pots have a saucer beside with a ladle on top. That is used for getting food into plates. One ladle per dish so there is no contamination. It is common in buffet restaurants to see one ladle being used for 2 dishes. That's very unsanitary.

Now, with the tasting of the dish while cooking, we usually taste the dish with a spoon. You are right, germs might have contaminated the used spoon so we avoid re-using it for tasting purposes.

Yes. I meant when you are cooking and having tastes to check the seasoning and how the dish is developing.

When cooking for family I will use the same spoon along as I do not have a cold. I figure we are already exposed to each others germs so it will not cause any problems. But if I am sick I will not use the same spoon when I taste the food.

If I decide to taste it I always use another spoon. I never use the same spoon twice. I know others do and it doesn't matter to me but I just can't do it.
You mean that there are times when you don't taste it? For me, tasting is compulsive. How else can I know if the dish is seasoned correctly or whether the taste is right? If anything, I probably taste it too much. Think how many teaspoons I might get through if I didn't double-dip! :D

Pretty much the same as most of you folks. When it's my family then yes - I double dip and taste test as I go. I figure we're family so we share germs!

If it's for others though, and I need to taste as I go, I would get a separate spoon each time. Sounds pedantic and like a lot of extra dishes, I know - but hey!

You mean that there are times when you don't taste it? For me, tasting is compulsive. How else can I know if the dish is seasoned correctly or whether the taste is right? If anything, I probably taste it too much. Think how many teaspoons I might get through if I didn't double-dip! :D

I guess I should have said when and not if. I didn't catch that typo. Yes I always taste it after adding spice to see it if is right. I probably taste something 3-4 times when I am cooking.

Back
Top Bottom