Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Only when cooking for family

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Always

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I don't dip at all

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Always. There is nothing unhygienic about human saliva - just the opposite in fact, saliva contains many active antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agents. Industry professionals have to claim that they don't do it otherwise the lily livered, shrink wrapped hygiene fanatics would never eat out!

Clean spoon, other implement, clean finger, carrot stick or crisp etc every time. Not just for the germs. Human saliva has digestive juices in. For the same reason, you can't store a half eaten dish of food eg a yogurt because the digestive juices from the saliva on the spoon will be reacting with the food.

I remember watching Keith Floyd tasting his food as he cooked, using a different clean finger each time, explaining about the germs and saliva.

Clean spoon, other implement, clean finger, carrot stick or crisp etc every time. Not just for the germs. Human saliva has digestive juices in. For the same reason, you can't store a half eaten dish of food eg a yogurt because the digestive juices from the saliva on the spoon will be reacting with the food.

I remember watching Keith Floyd tasting his food as he cooked, using a different clean finger each time, explaining about the germs and saliva.

This is a new take on the issue. Have I got this right? You are saying that double dipping deposits digestive juices into the food which will spoil the food (if the food is kept)?

This is a new take on the issue. Have I got this right? You are saying that double dipping deposits digestive juices into the food which will spoil the food (if the food is kept)?
It can make certain foods runny. Sour cream is an example.

Human saliva is notorious for germs - actually worse than a dog. It is one of the worst to be bitten by/with!
But at home and for myself and my husband I don't worry. Cooking the food should kill most and we don't eat meat. Plus we have very healthy digestive systems living off rain and bore water, on a septic tank (so very little bleach or cleaning products can be used without killing the bacteria in the septic tank) and we don't eat meat or dairy. I think the highest risk item we eat is rice and we won't eat it if it is more than 4 or 5 days old (say rice salad - I make a big bowl of it and it will take 4 or sometimes 5 days to eat it). Neither of us have ever had food poisoning from our own produce/cooking. The last time my husband had it was more than 5 years ago when we picked up some eggs at the side of the road whilst on a cycle tour in Scotland. When cooked, I didn't like the look of it or smell so refused to eat it. He was still hungry and ate it... you can guess the rest. I actually can't remember the last time I had food poisoning. oh well.

Ehm...Yes, I often do this while I'm cooking for me and Mr. P. or for my parents. Regarding the germs, well...I hope the warm and the cooking kill them!
When I cook for friends I do the same but every time I wash spoon. Or I dip a little piece of bread to taste.

I do it all the time if I'm cooking one meal for me. If I'm batch cooking or cooking for other people, then I don't. The cutlery drawer is right below the hob anyway, so I have plenty of forks and spoons to hand. In any case it doesn't take more than a few seconds to turn round and rinse the fork or spoon under the hot tap.

I do it all the time if I'm cooking one meal for me. If I'm batch cooking or cooking for other people, then I don't. The cutlery drawer is right below the hob anyway, so I have plenty of forks and spoons to hand. In any case it doesn't take more than a few seconds to turn round and rinse the fork or spoon under the hot tap.

So do I! How are you supposed to know how food tastes if you don't double dip? A good cook or chef always taste his food constantly to make sure that it is good! :wink:

If I have a cold or my husband has a cold, then we change spoons to taste something that is being prepared.

Otherwise, yes, we doublé dip if the preparation is just for us but never if there are guests .. I have tons of spoons and thus, change spoons for each test tasting.

@MypinchofItaly

Hello There.
Have a lovely lovely Sunday.

Just sitting down to Ravioli stuffed with goat cheese ricotta & a salad of Endive, walnuts, pears, Red blueberries, and red onion with a light vinaigrette of Bio Evoo & Champagne vinagre .. The récipe is from the late Antonio Carluccio as I have all his books and Dvds .. I felt so horrible when I had read he passed on in The Guardian Newspaper ..

Back
Top Bottom