Do you drink Prosecco?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:01 PM
If you spend the majority of the weekend in a Prosecco-infused stupor, then you’re not alone. It seems that the UK consumed a third of all the Prosecco produced last year – more than any other country.

Production has increased by 44.8% between 2014 and 2016, thanks to a bumper harvest that resulted in 410.9 million bottles being produced.

The Consortium for the Protection of Prosecco says that three-quarters of the bottles went overseas, mainly to the UK and the US. I drink it occasionally but not often. Its cheaper than champagne and has a fizzy celebratory feel. But what about you - do you ever drink Prosecco?

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/22/brits...in-the-world-last-year-6652440/#ixzz4hqVksse2

Last edited:
Yes I drink it which is not to say I buy it for myself, i.e. only for celebrations.

I am curious about the statistic...as if most Brits get squiffy on prosecco? .... as opposed to lager? If there was a better study, i.e. with a correlation comparing the consumption of Prosecco to other drinks (think of pubs after closing times)....then I daresay Prosecco would be way down the list! (I guess it could depend if the study took place in posher parts or not!)

We had a phase of having it sometimes at weekends, maybe about a year ago.. My wife and I often like to share a drink of something about an hour or so before dinner at weekends, and generally, I prefer to have a beer. After she had been at some social gathering where Prosecco was on offer, my wife decided she liked to have that for a while, and because it doesn't keep, sometimes I would share a bottle with her. But now she has gone back to drinking Rose.

I agree with your "fizzy celebratory feel" observation, morning glory. With that in mind, I suppose we should have it more often based on the fact that some days just crawling out of bed seems worth celebrating. :happy: We did go through a phase of having it on occasion, but since hubby doesn't enjoy imbibing anywhere near as much as I do, I pretty much stick to still wine.

And now I'm looking for a reason to buy a bottle of Prosecco...

Oh dear I'm going to out myself as a bit of a chav...

Wetherspoons sell it for £9.99 a bottle, so I often drink it when out with the girls for a night on the town. I'm a bit annoyed as it was always my drink of choice before becoming "trendy" but as it wasn't so readily available it felt like a treat, where as now (with it even being sold by the glass in the cheapest of waterholes) it's become less so for me.

Having said that I love it though, and I love nothing more than a pop of that cork, and the fizz.

I've tried it a few times...not a big fan, although it is quite tasty. I prefer my beer and dry wines...

Obviously as a good Italian, Prosecco is one of those wines I love a lot and I often have at home .. whenever I have guests I offer it for an aperitif, or even when I'm having an aperitif at some place, most of the times I order a nice fresh prosecco ... and it's as good as it is: with some strawberries on the edge of the glass that I intentionally point to in the wine. I like to sip it even during some fish-based lunch, even if my Sardinian soul makes me opt for the white wines of Sardinia most often ... but anyway, I like Prosecco very much. It is also quite used for cooking, I use it in a risotto with white wine or even for scaloppine.
Let's say, however, that in Italy the mental association that we often do is prosecco / aperitif.

Last edited:
Most Sunday lunchtimes whilst cooking lunch. The dogs go mad for the cork - they chase each other round the house and garden with it before chewing it into small pieces.

Back
Top Bottom