Do You Dry Your Own Fruit?

Elementalmage

Veteran
Local time
12:34 PM
Is it worth it to dry your own fruit? I've got apple trees and love dried apples but is the process worth it?

I think it is completely worth it. Dried fruit is good for you and it's a healthy snack you can carry to work or wherever to avoid eating junk food. Drying it at home yourself means you know that you're not consuming a bunch of unhealthy preservatives that would be included in purchased fruit. If you love dried apples and you can make your own it is definitely worth it to YOU. Just do small amounts at a time so you don't feel overwhelmed.

I have a dehydrator and it is definitely worth it. I have dried various fruit not just as straight dried fruit pieces, but also a fruit leather which are generally apple and something (but the something is the dominant flavour).

the dried fruits i do is more like candying the fruit i do apple,lemon,orange,pineapple and rhubarb to name a few i slice them thin ,pass them through sugar and dry them in a hot plate and keep redoing the process and as above fruit leather

Nope...luckily I live in a part of the world that has fresh fruit all year round, so no "off season"

Thanks for all the replies guys. This really makes me happy because I've got a lovely apple orchard with really good fruit. I also agree with Chanel, if you make your own, you know what you are eating. My kids love the fruit chips, leather and rolls. But you can't tell if its not stuffed with unhealthy preservative unless you have an hour to google all the strangely named ingredients. I'll definitely look into how to do apple drying at home. :chef:

In my place it is quite common to see dried pineapple and mango. I do not know the process but I do love the taste. They are quite tastely and sweet. My country also export these foods to other countries.

I think it would be good to be able to dry fruit and have it on hand as a snack. I never seem to be able to keep the fruit around long eneough to dry it, we eat the fruit so fast there is nothing to dry. We do not have fruit trees in our yard to provide fruit to dry.

I've never tried to dry my own fruit but I would love to try. The dried fruit especially the pineapples that I have purchased in the store is just too sweet. I mean they talk about people having diabetes but they are the ones giving it to us. I like sugar but not that much. Now I have eaten dried apricots that were pretty good. How do I dry the fruit??

Back
Top Bottom