Do you eat seeds?

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
9:35 AM
My grandad didn't like seeds in his food so bought seedless jam. Now, I love jam with seeds in esp. raspberry jam.

I was eating out recently and noticed the cucumber in the salad was peeled and the seeds taken out (as often i's in restaueants). I know some recipes call for tomatoes and chillies to be seeded but I rarely bother as I:
Don't dislike seeds
Dislike food waste
Dislike the extra effort (to be 'posh')

Am I missing the point? I can see in some things like salsa the tomato seeds/pips are best left out, but cucumber in a green salad? Does that need deseeding?

Do you like seeds?
When do you leave them in / take them out?

Seldom ever do I take seeds out of anything, very occasionally I might take them out of a tomato but purely for aesthetic reasons.

I actually ADD seeds to things since discovering the health benefits - breakfast cereal and certain salads mainly.

Well the obvious ones to take out are orange, lemon and other fruit like mango. I don't think that they taste to good even if they are small enough to eat! Most people don't eat apple pips - I must admit I'm not that keen on eating them although I expect they have health benefits.

With cucumbers I think some types have rather bitter seeds hence removing them - but I can't say I ever noticed.

It depends on the seeds:
  • I never seed tomatoes or cucumbers unless there's something in the preparation that I'd find "too watery" otherwise.
  • I will seed peppers if I'm preparing a dish for someone who doesn't want to have their face melted off by my food.
  • Blackberries can't be seeded, but the crunchiness of the seeds is sometimes a thing that makes me look for a different berry. This is usually only an issue when I'm eating them as-is without adding them to a recipe.

I am not a fan of seeds in my jams and preserves as then i will constantly be picking them out of my dental work for the rest of the day.

I do deseed tomamtos as i think they make the tomato taste a little bitter. I actually like yellow and orange tomatos cause they have less seeds.

Occassionally i will get a cucumber with really hard seeds and will cut them out but normally the seeds are not a problem.

And i do not buy grapes with seeds.

And i prefer my watermelon with seeds but i do not eat them but i think the seedless watermelons aren't as sweet as the seeded.

And i prefer my watermelon with seeds but i do not eat them but i think the seedless watermelons aren't as sweet as the seeded.

Here they remove watermelon seeds when they eat the fruit. Then they buy watermelon seeds in packets to eat.

Me? I remove apple, lime, pomelo and orange seeds (pips). The majority of Asian fruits have stones which I obviously don't eat. We tend to buy seedless grapes but if they are not seedless I eat the pips. Other than that, I don't bother removing any seeds.

With dried chilis it depends on how I use them. If making pure powder the seeds are removed. If they are to be reconstituted for a sauce they are left in, but at the end the skin and seed bits are removed by straining. I always remove the seeds and skin from fresh chilis or bell peppers for certain recipes. Same for tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom