Do you eat tinned (canned) food?

Which of the following tinned (canned) foods do you use?

• Vegetables (including corn but not tomatoes)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Beans and pulses

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Fruit

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Meat

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Fish/shellfish

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Pasta

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tomatoes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Pies

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Puddings

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Soup

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:22 AM
This is a spin off from another thread which asked why we didn't can things at home these days. Canning in the UK refers only to tins (not jars as in the US). Do you eat tinned food? In the UK it seems to have fallen out of fashion somewhat, although many of us buy tinned fish and the ever useful tinned tomatoes. And also beans - baked beans and other sorts are great value.

In the US, it seems as if tinned foods are more popular although this might depend on regions. Tell us which canned foods you use. And please fill in the poll!

Last edited:
In the US, pies are not canned. Now they do sell pie filling in cans.
I was going to ask why you excluded tomatoes.
Dumb question what are pulses?

Now that I voted I shall clarify.
In canned vegetables: green beans, carrots, sweet or English peas, sweet potatoes, whole kernel and cream style corn, beets, mixed vegetables, asparagus, pork n beans. I need black Eyed peas.
Fruits: cranberry sauce, pineapple, peaches and mandarin oranges.
Soups: cream of mushroom and cream of chicken.
Also have some tomatoes, tomato sauce and canned mushrooms.
Plenty of pasta sauces. (Way cheaper than from scratch).
A bit of tuna, a can of spam and some chili.
@morning glory, here is the list top to bottom.

Last edited:
You have seen my canned goods pantry. It is huge compared to most people.
Here most home meals are a protein (usually just cooked in a skillet), some starch (usually potatoes or rice) and a can of something. And a bread of some sort.

The way most people shop here is by payday. So you will see 6 or 7 proteins, potatoes, maybe veggies for salsa, a few canned vegetables, bread and then box cereals (sugar), chips and other snacks. Then milk and eggs. They may grab peanut butter too. Oh and lunch meat or lunchables.
Or they may just grab frozen meals.
During the summer, they typically add canned pastas and assorted other quick foods for the kiddos lunches.
Oh and regardless of what manufacturers say, many many children use a microwave on a regular basis to fix their own lunches.

Tinned beans are something we have in the cupboard and crushed tomatoes which are useful for making sauces. I think people are using tinned food less than when I was a child though we didn't have that much. My Mum used to buy tinned fruit which I wouldn't think to get now. I'm going back to the 70's.

In the US, pies are not canned. Now they do sell pie filling in cans.
I was going to ask why you excluded tomatoes.
Dumb question what are pulses?
Pulses strictly speaking mean beans, lentils, peas. But really, I should have been more specific. I meant lentils really! Here we get fantastic tinned cooked lentils. Peas, I meant to be included under vegetables.

Pulses strictly speaking mean beans, lentils, peas. But really, I should have been more specific. I meant lentils really! Here we get fantastic tinned cooked lentils. Peas, I meant to be included under vegetables.
Ok, pretty much the ones we find in the dried food section. I can't say I've ever seen canned lentils but will look next time I go to the grocery store. Which ironically will be today to get our money back on something we bought Saturday. I didn't look at the date on the tortillas.

You have seen my canned goods pantry. It is huge compared to most people.
Here most home meals are a protein (usually just cooked in a skillet), some starch (usually potatoes or rice) and a can of something. And a bread of some sort.

The way most people shop here is by payday. So you will see 6 or 7 proteins, potatoes, maybe veggies for salsa, a few canned vegetables, bread and then box cereals (sugar), chips and other snacks. Then milk and eggs. They may grab peanut butter too. Oh and lunch meat or lunchables.
Or they may just grab frozen meals.
During the summer, they typically add canned pastas and assorted other quick foods for the kiddos lunches.
Oh and regardless of what manufacturers say, many many children use a microwave on a regular basis to fix their own lunches.

Please do post your pantry photo here too.

Ok here.
20170116_111151.jpg

Ignore the bottom two shelves.

Looks like you have a stash of quite a lot of the same cans. Can't see quite what they are. I can see carrots and green beans on top shelf. Apart from that I'm not sure...

Carrots in cans seems really strange to me (in UK) as carrots are really cheap and keep for ages. Can't you get fresh carrots?

Just checking where my tins are kept I currently have plum tomatoes, tomato puree, ravioli, hotdog sausages, baked beans, mushrooms and peas. I usually use frozen peas and fresh mushrooms - the tins are for emergencies. I have had tinned pies (steak and kidley) but there are none in stock at present.

Looks like you have a stash of quite a lot of the same cans. Can't see quite what they are. I can see carrots and green beans on top shelf. Apart from that I'm not sure...

Carrots in cans seems really strange to me (in UK) as carrots are really cheap and keep for ages. Can't you get fresh carrots?
See post 3 for the list.
Canned carrots, 50 cents a pound, fresh carrots $2 a pound and half the time they have been stored forever before being put out on the shelves.

Just checking where my tins are kept I currently have plum tomatoes, tomato puree, ravioli, hotdog sausages, baked beans, mushrooms and peas. I usually use frozen peas and fresh mushrooms - the tins are for emergencies. I have had tinned pies (steak and kidley) but there are none in stock at present.
Hotdog sausages? Do you mean Vienna sausages? Or 6 inch long weiners?

Back
Top Bottom