• No, never

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:34 PM
In the USA, it seems that boiled eggs served in eggcups are not commonly seen and I gather that many homes don't possess eggcups. In the UK almost everyone will have eaten eggs this way. They are popular for breakfast - the 'soldiers' are fingers of bread or toast to dip. So a quick poll...

How about in New Zealand, Australia, Italy, Bulgaria, France, Thailand, Canada, Guernsey (from where or where we have active members)?

Here is a pretty blue egg I ate recently:

image.png

Last edited:
I don't like really runny yolks, just barely runny, almost gel like for me. I'll eat them out in a restaurant rather than send them back, but not happily.

We have eaten soldiers with eggs in cocotte with sweated mushrooms and shallots, with truffles shaved over them a couple of times when Craig has picked up several black truffles for my birthday or Christmas present, or anniversary gift, and we need different ways to have them.

Last edited:
I remember the first time I ever saw an egg cup. We went on a Caribbean cruise when I was 15, still lived up North then. The dining room served your egg(s) in a cup whether they were soft, medium, or hard boiled. First time I had ever heard of borscht too.

We eat soft boiled eggs in egg cups about once a month or so, but I haven't made "soldiers" since my son was very small. We just use a small spoon and have toast on the side withthe eggs in cups.

Similarly, we always have toast with our pan fried eggs and prefer them runny so that the toast can be dipped in the yolk.

When I was a kid, our mom would ask my siblings and I how we would like our eggs fried: either "dippin' eggs", or cooked like leather.

I actually saw an egg cup at the thrift store today. It looked maybe depression era glass...maybe i should have bought it, it was only 49¢ but i am not an expert at glass and i don't think there would be much interest if i tried to sell it as i know of no one that uses egg cups and do people want one offs or do they come in sets?

Back
Top Bottom