Do you ever make 'Bitsa'?

Pete

Über Member
Local time
6:39 AM
Bitsa, as a meal, in my household, is anything that is getting near expiry date, the only one left in a packet or freezer bag or the last few frozen (or fresh) veg left in the pack/rack!

Bitsa can be fried, grilled, simmered in a sauce or turned into curry.
Basically, it uses up anything that might otherwise end up getting wasted, or sit there looking sad and lonely.

:)

For me, a common one for leftover proteins is to be reheated in tomato sauce, or veggies are turned into a soup.

My wife calls this mah-chee pah-chee. Some kind of Slovakian word her mother used.

Monday and Tuesday nights usually to use up all the stuff left over from last week's veg box. The cauli lasagne I made used up some tired veg, and so have some of the other recipes I've posted on here. I often blanch left overs of green veg to get a bit of colour into them. Les animaux help too, particularly le lévrier :D

Monday and Tuesday nights usually to use up all the stuff left over from last week's veg box. The cauli lasagne I made used up some tired veg, and so have some of the other recipes I've posted on here. I often blanch left overs of green veg to get a bit of colour into them. Les animaux help too, particularly le lévrier :D

You've gone all French! :happy:

Trouble is I have too many bits of things. Cooking and recipe development is my main interest/occupation/obsession :hyper:. So I often buy things just to try an idea out and get left with bits. Latest example is tofu-making (more on that later, elsewhere). It has left me with whey and okara. If you don't know hat okara is (I didn't before this adventure) see here. I used most of the whey to make bread. But there is still a bit left. And I have a 'lotsa' okara! I toasted some of it in a slow oven and put it in a screw top jar. But really....

Latest example is tofu-making (more on that later, elsewhere). It has left me with whey and okara.

Tofu doesn't appeal to me at all, and I have enough whey left over as it is. I was actually guilty of throwing some away tonight because I have already made bread and sauces and still have about a pint in the fridge. Someone told me that whey is good for the garden/compost, so I poured it on to a patch by my flower bed to see what happens.

For me, a common one for leftover proteins is to be reheated in tomato sauce, or veggies are turned into a soup.

My wife calls this mah-chee pah-chee. Some kind of Slovakian word her mother used.

"Pah chee" here is coriander whereas "Pah chee farang" is parsley.

Lol, I was just trying to write it phonetically. It would most likely be a colloquialism written in a Slovak tongue like maczi paczi, or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom