Do you get inspiration from watching foodie shows?

I’ve watched several of those videos with GC, but I have no idea who he is. I just thought he was some personable Italian guy making food. :laugh:

I've been watching cooking shows on television since the last sixties.
At first, back in the day, I did get inspiration, but in the past, oh maybe 10 years or so, not so much.
I find a lot of YouTubers give me motivation now.

There are as many renditions as there are Italians...check out Italian Youtube..you will walk away being more confused than ever..lol
For sure, that's a given. Who's is more authentic is open to interpretation. Who's works better based on what people expect in a authentic carbonara. Personally I have a clear winner, neither are wrong though lol

There are as many renditions as there are Italians...check out Italian Youtube..you will walk away being more confused than ever..lol

That's why I used the words "proper carbonara" in my previous post, and not "authentic." With carbonara, there are some things an Italian would NOT do, that are more important than what TO do, such as no cream.

CD

I do the same thing on YouTube, now. I watch every video Chef John makes, although I can't think of a single thing from his channel that I have actually cooked. But, I am sure watching him cook has altered the way I cook things.

CD
Chef John's Savory Sweet Potato Casserole has become a holiday must have. I also love his Fondant Potatoes.
I learned to make Beef Wellington from Gordan Ramsay's You Tube video.

Yes to being inspired. The first cooking show I remember watching was Julia Child. I do like some of the competition shows - Master Chef, Iron Chef, Chopped. I like the travel food shows. Enjoyed Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and Parts Unknown. When traveling I will search Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive Inns and Dives for off-the -main-drag local eats. I also like Andrew Zimmern and will research restaurants he has visited when we travel.

I like kid baking championships, kid master chef competitions and chopped junior. :hyper:Young children baking and cooking at such an amazing level. Jealous.

I do Google recipes and search You Tube. More for inspiration than actual recipes. I take bits and pieces from multiple recipes and make it my own.

Every now and then I will pull out one of my cookbooks.

I do the same thing on YouTube, now. I watch every video Chef John makes, although I can't think of a single thing from his channel that I have actually cooked. But, I am sure watching him cook has altered the way I cook things.

CD

I love his Food Wishes channel and his voice and delivery I find very entertaining. I've tried out quite a few of his recipes (Cassoulet, Tuna Confit, Fondant Potatoes, etc...). Pretty decent versions, not always traditional/authentic, but certainly tasty and within reach of most home cooks.

Back
Top Bottom