Do you "gift" organizations or families for Christmas?

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
2:48 PM
I have considered adopting a family. Not going to do that. Baby Sis and her Husband adopted a family. They spent several hundred dollars on gifts for the family and a full Christmas meal. The parents and the children were very unappreciative. There was no "Thank You". Sis and BIL were criticized for not purchasing "brand" clothing. The children were not interested in the toys - including bicycles - they wanted electronics. The family even complained abut the meal - a turkey and a ham, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mac and cheese plus bread and pies.

After much discussion we now have a tradition of donating warm clothing to the St. Joseph's Men's Shelter. There is much attention paid to Women's and Children's shelters and of course the Marine's have their Toy's for Tot's campaign. Homeless men are the forgotten ones. Simple things like gloves, warm socks, knit caps, sweat shirts even underwear are needed by these men. G travels a lot and brings home hotel hygiene products. That goes to St. Joe's. When I replace bedding or towels the old ones are donated to St. Joe's.

Yes - the majority of the men are alcoholics or drug addicts. St. Joe's gives them a place to sleep - on a cot with a blanket in a heated room. St. Joe's requires the men to speak with social workers and attend AA meetings.

There is also St. Joseph's Diner. They feed people 3 meals a day seven days a week. When I clean out the freezer I bring food to the diner.

This is not some benevolent generosity. There have been times in my life when I was really down and out. My salvation was my family. This is nothing more than paying forward.

I have considered adopting a family. Not going to do that. Baby Sis and her Husband adopted a family. They spent several hundred dollars on gifts for the family and a full Christmas meal. The parents and the children were very unappreciative. There was no "Thank You". Sis and BIL were criticized for not purchasing "brand" clothing. The children were not interested in the toys - including bicycles - they wanted electronics. The family even complained abut the meal - a turkey and a ham, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mac and cheese plus bread and pies.

After much discussion we now have a tradition of donating warm clothing to the St. Joseph's Men's Shelter. There is much attention paid to Women's and Children's shelters and of course the Marine's have their Toy's for Tot's campaign. Homeless men are the forgotten ones. Simple things like gloves, warm socks, knit caps, sweat shirts even underwear are needed by these men. G travels a lot and brings home hotel hygiene products. That goes to St. Joe's. When I replace bedding or towels the old ones are donated to St. Joe's.

Yes - the majority of the men are alcoholics or drug addicts. St. Joe's gives them a place to sleep - on a cot with a blanket in a heated room. St. Joe's requires the men to speak with social workers and attend AA meetings.

There is also St. Joseph's Diner. They feed people 3 meals a day seven days a week. When I clean out the freezer I bring food to the diner.

This is not some benevolent generosity. There have been times in my life when I was really down and out. My salvation was my family. This is nothing more than paying forward.

No one wakes up in the morning and decides to become an alcoholic or drug addict, something awful in their lives have pushed them down that road so yes they need help.

It is a shame your sister had a bad experience because there are many families out there who would appreciate help.

There are more bad experiences than you would believe - our in laws championed the cause of a family 'desperate' to get into the UK. A LOT of time and money was spent and the result - when they finally could get in they promptly cut off all ties - no words of thanks didn't reply to any e mails, letters - it hurt a great deal. As for mens refuges we have such organizations as the salvation army who are often ridiculed and turned into figures of fun by those who have never been in need and cheap [overpaid] comedians. We should support them but most would rather get sick falling down drunk and spend on rubbish until they are insanely in debt rather than donate a few pounds. The elderly generally are undervalued and often ignored in Britain - despite having contributed to society for 40 - 50+ years.

The churches throughout Spain have a weekly donation of used but good condition clothing, housewares etcetra. for those needy people.

We receive a receipt for donating these ítems from the Archdiocese.

There are uncountable poverty stricken families in Spain.

Also, the City Hospitals have a programme as well for the victims of serious illnesses and the children with uncurable diseases .. During the Christmas Holidays and The Ephiphany ( 6th January ) also called The 3 Wise Men, is when we provide some toys ( from our grandsons ) and some new, children´s books, and toys to this programme at the main Hospital of Barcelona ..

There are more bad experiences than you would believe - our in laws championed the cause of a family 'desperate' to get into the UK. A LOT of time and money was spent and the result - when they finally could get in they promptly cut off all ties - no words of thanks didn't reply to any e mails, letters - it hurt a great deal. As for mens refuges we have such organizations as the salvation army who are often ridiculed and turned into figures of fun by those who have never been in need and cheap [overpaid] comedians. We should support them but most would rather get sick falling down drunk and spend on rubbish until they are insanely in debt rather than donate a few pounds. The elderly generally are undervalued and often ignored in Britain - despite having contributed to society for 40 - 50+ years.

There are many great people who work tirelessly to help others with little or no reward. Unfortunately we live in a time where some people choose to ignore others and focus entirely on themselves, not realising that 1 day they too may need help.

We do what we can during the year.

A friend of mine, whom I have written about before, lost his Mum and his Nan very recently. He was his Mum's full-time carer for the last few months of her life, and when she died he became homeless (she lived in housing association accommodation and they would not let him stay on). He has been sofa-surfing in the meantime but that does not necessarily mean he has somewhere to stay every night, or that he gets meals or even a cup of tea. When he visited me at 7 the other night, he had been out and about since 5.30 a.m. All he had had to eat and drink that day was a couple of sandwiches and a cup of tea at lunch time provided by the local Salvation Army. He said he felt ashamed that he has had to go to them for food. Of course, to cap it all, when he moved back to his Mum's, he lost his job in a scrap yard where he had been working for several years. His home (a caravan in their yard) went with the job too. He has applied to the Council and they have found him five houses that would be suitable, but the smallest of these is 2-bedroomed (which means he will lose some of his housing benefit if he takes it) and is £1200 a month rent with a month's rent in advance (money which he no longer has). Once he has paid the deposit, he will be eligible for housing benefit, which will bring his rent down to an amount he will be able to afford. If I could afford to help him, I would, but even having him staying in the house means I lose benefits I am entitled to, and to counteract this loss I would have to charge him higher than the rent would be with benefits applied on the house, so he seems to be fighting a losing battle, unless he can come up with the cash.

On the plus side, though, I do give to the local food bank when I can, but they are very limited in what they take in from private individuals, taking only tinned or boxed items which must be at least a couple of months in date. Most of the other food they distribute seems to come from local stores.

What is that saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." Have you ever looked into how much money actually goes to the needy from a charity? There are those where the "CEO" or administrator makes 6 figures.

Have you ever looked into how much money actually goes to the needy from a charity? There are those where the "CEO" or administrator makes 6 figures.
Indeed. Although it varies from charity to charity. One reason I give food to the food bank is that it does go direct to the needy (well. I know my local one does that).

@morning glory

We donate year round - clothing, household goods and the like to a local thrift shop or the Salvation Army. The local thrift shop supports local charities. The Sallie does do a great deal of good. Of the large charitable organizations their record is the best when it comes to % of money actually spent to help others. No high paid directors. Good Will is the opposite. Only a small percentage is actually spent on those in need. They are top heavy with well paid directors.

Our local food bank takes non perishables. Understandably - they do not have refrigeration or freezers. St. Joe's Diner takes anything. They feed so many people daily that fresh and fresh frozen foods are used quickly.

The only monetary contribution is an annual gift to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. An incredible organization. A friend's grandson had cancer. As soon as he was diagnosed his parents brought him to St. Jude's. As soon as they arrived the Doctors began evaluating the child. The parents were met by a financial coordinator. They were immediately given a check to cover their fuel, food and other travel expenses. They were provided with lodging and meal vouchers at several restaurants and cafes. St' Jude's even took care of the little things like laundry detergent and tokens for the hotel laundry mat.

BTW - friend's grandson has been cancer free for over ten years and will graduate from high school in May.

Thank you Danny Thomas for starting this life saving organization.

@morning glory

We donate year round - clothing, household goods and the like to a local thrift shop or the Salvation Army. The local thrift shop supports local charities. The Sallie does do a great deal of good. Of the large charitable organizations their record is the best when it comes to % of money actually spent to help others. No high paid directors. Good Will is the opposite. Only a small percentage is actually spent on those in need. They are top heavy with well paid directors.

Our local food bank takes non perishables. Understandably - they do not have refrigeration or freezers. St. Joe's Diner takes anything. They feed so many people daily that fresh and fresh frozen foods are used quickly.

The only monetary contribution is an annual gift to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. An incredible organization. A friend's grandson had cancer. As soon as he was diagnosed his parents brought him to St. Jude's. As soon as they arrived the Doctors began evaluating the child. The parents were met by a financial coordinator. They were immediately given a check to cover their fuel, food and other travel expenses. They were provided with lodging and meal vouchers at several restaurants and cafes. St' Jude's even took care of the little things like laundry detergent and tokens for the hotel laundry mat.

BTW - friend's grandson has been cancer free for over ten years and will graduate from high school in May.

Thank you Danny Thomas for starting this life saving organization.

It is such a shame that in this day and age we should need foodbanks. I wonder if 'personal items' would be useful, deodorant, toothpaste etc.those things are more expensive than food and just as necessary however I haven't seen any request those kind if things.

It is such a shame that in this day and age we should need foodbanks. I wonder if 'personal items' would be useful, deodorant, toothpaste etc.those things are more expensive than food and just as necessary however I haven't seen any request those kind if things.
One of the hospitals I worked in years ago used to have an unused ward where they let homeless people come in for showers or baths, or just a good night's sleep, and if necessary a change of clothes. Unfortunately that idea only ran until the ward was repaired and refurbished for use. Sometimes one of the consultants in the elderly care day unit where we worked used to let people come in there too, and then they could also use one of the kitchens which were used by the occupational therapy department to ensure that our patients were fit enough to return home. Unfortunately that could only happen if there were staff in the building working late. I don't know whether they still allow it.

The Salvation Army do give out flannels, deodorants, toothpastes, toothbrushes etc as well as small gifts like chocolates, hankies, talc etc at Christmas.

I wonder if 'personal items' would be useful, deodorant, toothpaste etc.those things are more expensive than food and just as necessary however I haven't seen any request those kind if things.

Good point.

George travels a lot. He brings home hotel toiletries by the bag full. St. Joseph's Shelter and the Veteran's Home always appreciate having those items. The food bank accepts and encourages hygiene products. Bath soap, toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrushes, shampoo, razors and shaving cream - even toilet paper. Not items that they request in their campaign but necessities for the families they help.

I thought about going on a welfare rant but decided not to. If I get started I may never stop! :devil:

Back
Top Bottom