Do you have a 'best' crockery set?

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
8:37 AM
[Mod.Edit: Posts moved to start a new thread]

Tomorrow we will get out our best crockery, cutlery and place mats :hyper: the holiday will officially start.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have 'best'? Its a strange concept to me as I just have one set unless you count the 'special' plates I use for food photography. :)

We have about 3 sets of 8 plus 8 pasta bowls, the ones with small bowl inside and flared sides. And cutlery for about 12 X 2 sets and a Thai box set I bought in Bangkok and shipped home. That has about 120 pieces made of brass? And wood. Then we have bowls for Indian nights. Lots of metal bowls.

Russ

You have 'best'? Its a strange concept to me as I just have one set unless you count the 'special' plates I use for food photography. :)
@morning glory
"Best"? Ha, that stuff my wife has stashed away, for use by guests, which we never have, we being such sluggish and slovenly retirees, that, well, er.........retraction, ME being........(all those things!).

We like to dress the table for special occasions, Christmas, Easter etc..makes days different from normal days.

I have two main sets. The initial set that I bought back in 2000 is Royal Thai Pentasia Porcelain which includes plates, dishes, bowls, cups, saucers and ancillary serving items. It wasn't cheap but I was working back then.

dishes s.jpg

We have subsequently bought some plain white tableware items, which were substantially cheaper. However, I only discriminate between them by their "capacity". The white dinner plate is a larger diameter than the Pentasia but the Pentasia dishes hold more than the plain white dishes.

tableware 2 s.jpg

Since we do a lot of cooking using the microwave, we exercise caution to not employ China or porcelain-based cookware for heating......not really certain it could harm them, though. Another thing which caught our attention once: often cookware is plated with a gold-rim: that can cause sparking in the nuker.

I have a pretty set of arcopol plates like these i call my good dishes
https://www.etsy.com/listing/553812065/honorine-by-arcopal-honorine-dinner

My every day dishes are corelle and look like these
https://www.etsy.com/listing/592989730/4-corelle-chutney-luncheonsalad-plates

Is one really better than the other? The edge on the arcopol seem fancier but they both are wonderfully light and easy to wash.

I have a set of royal staffordshire but i bought it to sell so it sits on my upright freezer waiting for a photoshoot...its very pretty but very girly, its likely the nicest plates in the house right now.

I also collect pyrex milkglass tableware which were very popular restaurant dishes back in the 50-70s i certainly would not call them fancy but they are very functional and i appreciate a good functional dish. They were so common yet i find them very hard to find a complete set on the secondhand market so i have dibs and dabs of a few patterns. They are very much smaller than plates of today which i find interesting. They make a great sized sandwich plate tho so they are my casual plates...if that makes sense.

Omg i just looked at the price of those arcopols...thats not even a full set...i now sit eyeing my set of 12 placesettings...minus the coffee cups...i didn't buy the cups...like most of my kitchenware i bought them at the thrift cheaply.

Back in '72 we bought a 48 piece china dinner service for 4 quid. From Liverpool apparently.

We were living in Poulton-Le-Fylde, near Blackpool.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom