Do you own a dehydrator?

Deeishere111

Veteran
Local time
3:44 AM
I am looking to purchase a dehydrator. I am thinking this would be good make my own snacks. They seem to be pretty expensive. I wonder is there a big difference in the performance base on the price. I want to use it to dehydrate bananas, apples, pineapples and strawberries.

I am looking to purchase a dehydrator. I am thinking this would be good make my own snacks. They seem to be pretty expensive. I wonder is there a big difference in the performance base on the price. I want to use it to dehydrate bananas, apples, pineapples and strawberries.

I have one, but I hardly use it. It IS good though for those who like to make there own dried fruits, veggies & beef jerky! :wink:

Yes I do.
There is also an enormous difference on the quality of the cheap ones compared to an Excalibur one. Not least of all electricity usage, even drying and capacity.
Don't think new, think eBay. That is where I have purchased all 3 of mine. Looking story but the 2 9 tray ones got given to my brother in law by my husband. I now have a 5 tray one which is much quieter than the 9 tray ones we had and has been shipped to Australia to go with me! This one is mine to keep.

I need to buy one soon, so would also be interested in recommendations. I always have a glut of raspberries, loganberries, blackcurrants, tomatoes and runner beans that I'm sure could be dried instead of frozen.

I need to buy one soon, so would also be interested in recommendations. I always have a glut of raspberries, loganberries, blackcurrants, tomatoes and runner beans that I'm sure could be dried instead of frozen.
The only quality one on the market is the Excalibur series best picked up with patience of eBay. But they are large and take up plenty of space but worth it. I managed to get a nice white 5 great Excalibur one (without timer, found it useless on a previous one) for just over £100. But they are not common and do cost money.

A link to 2nd h hand ones on eBay at the moment (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_trksid=p2045573.m1684) shows that there are several at sensible prices but collection will be required. Also turn it on when you collect, max temperature and see that you get heat from it after a few minutes. You will never use max temp or even close to it but it will tell you that both the fan and the thermostat are working.

Last edited:
001.jpg

My Oster Convection Toaster Oven has a dehydrate setting, which enables me to use it as a dehydrator. :wink:

The y is not in the name. Our mom used to say it that way also.

I once had the Oster Kitchen Center. She liked it and would say. "I want to get an Oyster Kitchen Center, because yours works so good!" :wink:

The y is not in the name. Our mom used to say it that way also.

I once had the Oster Kitchen Center. She liked it and would say. "I want to get an Oyster Kitchen Center, because yours works so good!" :wink:
I have an Oyster blender and an oven but mine doesn't have the dehydrate feature.

I have an Oyster blender and an oven but mine doesn't have the dehydrate feature.

if I know you, you'll probably run out and get a dehydrator, right? Seeing that you're the Queen of Kitchen Toys. Hah!! Just kidding. :wink:

if I know you, you'll probably run out and get a dehydrator, right? Seeing that you're the Queen of Kitchen Toys. Hah!! Just kidding. :wink:
I resisted an electric skillet for $4 the other day. It looked like it had never been used. Between the wattage and the real estate it would require, it was an easy turn down.

Back
Top Bottom