Do you pan fry or microwave your bacon?

kgord

Veteran
Local time
9:00 PM
I think the flavor is a bit better when bacon is pan fried, but preparing it in the microwave is generally easier. I will typically pan fry the bacon if it is to be included in a recipe, and otherwise I might make it in the microwave. It seems to me less grease is produced when it is prepared in the microwave, which makes me happier. I have also unfortunately, set off the smoke detector by pan frying!

First of all, let me say that I do not own a microwave. I have never been very fond of them. I do not usually buy bacon that often because of the price. However, when I do use bacon, I would always pan fry it. Therefore, I cannot compare the flavor of pan fried bacon over bacon done any other way. I have never tried cooking it in the oven either, which I know some people also do.

We always pan fry our bacon because we prefer the crisp brown bacon that goes with the fried eggs. Come to think of it, we haven't bought bacon for a long time, maybe a year already. But anyway, that is our problem when we eat in one of our favorite breakfast restaurants called Pancakes. Their bacon is not crisp because they say it will shrink. And I guess they are using the microwave to cook the bacon so as to save time and effort. Microwave is neat than using a pan to fry.

We either pan fry it or bake it in the oven most the time. I've microwaved it before when I've been in a pinch for time - but I like the taste and texture better when it's either been fried in a pan or baked in the oven.

I either pan fry or grill my bacon. I wouldn't dream of cooking it in the microwave. I have seen other people do this and it always looks limp and pale. I like to crisp up the fat. I only really use the microwave for reheating or cooking tinned vegetables and pulses, such as peas, beans or sweetcorn.

First of all, let me say that I do not own a microwave. I have never been very fond of them. I do not usually buy bacon that often because of the price. However, when I do use bacon, I would always pan fry it. Therefore, I cannot compare the flavor of pan fried bacon over bacon done any other way. I have never tried cooking it in the oven either, which I know some people also do.

That's great of sorts that you do not own a microwave. I think that calls for a lot of discipline which sadly I don't have a lot of sometimes. When they used to talk about how harmful they might be, I used to think I should get rid of mine but never did. That aside, I would mostly fry my bacon when I have it around. It is pricey, but I try to stay away mostly because of it supposedly not being good for your health. I plan on sticking some in the oven next time around.

I always pan fry my bacon, it tastes so much better that way. I remember trying bacon in the microwave back when microwaves first came out and I was not at all impressed. It is just not the same. They use to sell those little crisper things to make things crispy but that never worked either. I do have a microwave but it rarely gets any use.

We cook the bacon by frying it and I like the crispiness and the greasiness of fried bacon. Lol. We do have a microwave oven but I haven't tried using it to cook the bacon. How does it work and what does it taste like? Anyway, I have read online that the healthier choice is to bake it on the oven, though. I haven't tried it but just relaying what I have read.

Last edited:
It tastes about the same. it is a bit less crispy than frying it in a pan. I don't care for my bacon too crispy though so microwave cooking it is fine with me. I have not tried in in the oven, but I may this Fall or Winter since they seem to have a variety of bacon wrapped foods I want to try. I did try grilling bacon once, and I had a bit of a fire on the grill! Luckily I had my fire extinguisher handy.

I did try grilling bacon once, and I had a bit of a fire on the grill! Luckily I had my fire extinguisher handy.
How long did you grill it for:eek:??!!
TBH One of the reasons we grill is that with eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding, peas pudding, and sometimes a slice of fried bread there isn't really room for it in the pan !
PS only at weekends though

I used to microwave my bacon but I just couldn't get it crispy enough. I loved the way the paper towel would soak up all the bacon fat and the clean up was so easy. I had to switch back to cooking bacon in a pan and have discovered that if you cook bacon on medium low it will not burn or splatter and will get nice and crispy. You just have to be patient and flip the bacon regularly.

How long did you grill it for:eek:??!!
TBH One of the reasons we grill is that with eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding, peas pudding, and sometimes a slice of fried bread there isn't really room for it in the pan !
PS only at weekends though

:hungry::hungry: except for the fried bread :headshake:

We either pan fry it or bake it in the oven most the time. I've microwaved it before when I've been in a pinch for time - but I like the taste and texture better when it's either been fried in a pan or baked in the oven.

I don't buy real bacon very often (usually turkey bacon), but when I do, I usually make it in the oven of the microwave. I hate pan frying it. I just feel like the whole kitchen is full of grease afterward. It's so messy, takes a long time, and constantly looking at all that grease just makes me not want to eat it. Turkey bacon works for me. I can nuke it quickly without all the greasy mess.

Back
Top Bottom