Do you preheat your oven?

I have learned this technique, when cooking a chicken breast for example, brown it each side in a metal handled frying pan for a few minutes, then bang it in the oven still in the frying pan. Absolutely essential that the oven is already hot when you put it in. It’s a great technique for getting properly cooked through but still moist and tender chicken breast. The first time I saw it demoed, by James Martin, it was duck breast he was cooking, and another key part of the reason for doing it that way was to get a crispy skin. You start by frying it skin side down, then turn it over, then bang it in the oven. It is a technique that just wouldn’t work at all if you were putting it into a cold oven.

I'd put my oven on the turbo setting in that case. It's a cross between a fan oven and a grill, so the grill part of it would heat up at the same time as the fan oven and, by the time the chicken or whatever is cooked, it would have crisped up too.

I preheat my oven always for 10 mins only (I think they generally recommend 15 - 20 mins don't they)?

Maybe slightly off track but does anyone else tend to make full use of their oven? I dislike heating it just for one item so invariably incorporate it with things on other shelves, e.g. potato or roasting a pepper, baking an apple etc. With my oven temperature guage I worked out which shelf provides what temp, e.g. if it's Mk. 4 centre shelf then 2 shelves up will be Mk. 5 - which is useful.
I often put everything in my oven - meat, boiled veg, roast veg, and dessert if I'm having something hot. I've even been known to put a cake in there as well. My oven only has one proper shelf but the drip tray has an insert which converts it into a shelf too. Obviously the drip pan always goes in the bottom of the oven, but what goes where and which shelf I use depends on what pans I am using. A fan oven makes it a lot easier.

I often put everything in my oven - meat, boiled veg, roast veg, and dessert if I'm having something hot. I've even been known to put a cake in there as well. My oven only has one proper shelf but the drip tray has an insert which converts it into a shelf too. Obviously the drip pan always goes in the bottom of the oven, but what goes where and which shelf I use depends on what pans I am using. A fan oven makes it a lot easier.
My, what a big oven you have got! :D Mine is a mere two shelves.

My, what a big oven you have got! :D Mine is a mere two shelves.
Mine is a standard size oven and I can put everything Elawin said in my oven. I can put a meatloaf or a chicken or a roast, bread, potatoes, onions, and a cake all on the top shelf. Or several meats in there at once.
Now I couldn't put anything else with a turkey, large ham or brisket.

Mine is a standard size oven and I can put everything Elawin said in my oven. I can put a meatloaf or a chicken or a roast, bread, potatoes, onions, and a cake all on the top shelf. Or several meats in there at once.
Now I couldn't put anything else with a turkey, large ham or brisket.

I think you two must have big ovens! Mine is this sort of thing.

vb_built_in_ovens_01.jpg

18 inches deep, 23 inches wide, 17 inches high
45.72 centimeters deep, 58.52 centimeters wide and 43.18 centimeters high.
It has 2 racks that can be moved around.
So it is just a standard oven.

It doesn't have burners. Its a built in electric oven independent of any hobs. The gas hob above it has four burners.
Same idea. So yes, you could cook the same things I do. All the food I mentioned will fit on an 18 inch by 13 inch tray. Shall I show you?

Back
Top Bottom