Do you preheat your oven?

I think the biggest turkey I've ever seen was about 40 lbs, but I just crossed the street and walked on by...

My, what a big oven you have got! :D Mine is a mere two shelves.
No! Like @Cinisajoy mine is just a standard oven with just the one shelf. I have had bigger ovens in the past but don't need a bigger one any more. I have a glass roasting dish which takes a chicken nicely and I put that in on one side of the shelf with the veg in a pan on the other - I have been known to use the lid upside down so it doesn't get in the way of the grill :okay:. Cakes and stuff in shallow tins can go on top of the drip tray at the bottom of the oven. It's really just a case of juggling everything around for the best fit.

I agree....easier to monitor cooking times....usually set timer a few minutes short of recipe to check and make sure not over cooked..then simply adjust accordingly.

I rarely preheat my oven, whether it is on normal, fan, or turbo setting, preferring to add a little more time at the end if necessary...But what do you do?
It depends on what is going into the oven and how I want it cooked. Anything with a leavening agent like yeast or baking powder get a preheated oven. Same with a beef roast or chicken that I want to have a good crust form on. If I'm baking a mass of potatoes, or a casserole, or pans of veggies, I usually pop them into a cold oven and go from there. My oven preheats verrrryyy slooooooooowly, something like 15-20 minutes, so when heat counts I need to preheat.

I always pre heat my oven. I set it on pre heat then do my pre work.

Sigh! I have an old electric range with a coil type cook top. I hate it!!

I learned to cook with a gas range.

Natural Gas is available but it would require running a gas line from the street to the house - under concrete. Not going to happen. Another option would be to use an LPG range. It would not be a hard task to connect a 100 lb. LBG tank to a line going from the range to outside. Most gas ranges in the US are easily converted from natural gas to LPG.

Getting this to happen will take some work. When ever I bring up the subject George gets into his growly, contrary mode.

Anyway - preheat - YES.

Back
Top Bottom