Do you preheat your oven?

I have an old electric range with a coil type cook top. I hate it!!

I can understand you not liking the coil type cook top, but does it matter whether the oven is electric or gas? Almost all ovens here in the UK are electric (I think). They heat at a much more even temperature (I think).

@morning glory

You are correct - an electric oven, especially convection does cook more evenly than gas. A convection gas oven is better than a plain gas oven. There are Dual Fuel ranges available - gas cook top and convection, electric oven - VERY pricy!

Maybe when I win a mega million power ball I can have my dream kitchen. Of course I would have to buy tickets.

A convection gas oven is better than a plain gas oven. There are Dual Fuel ranges available - gas cook top and convection, electric oven - VERY pricy!

That's interesting - if by 'convection' you mean fan oven then they are completely the norm here and not pricey (depends what you call pricey!). Most people these days don't have free standing ranges (although richer people who live in country houses do) or free standing cookers (although some folks still do). Most, like me have built in ovens and a separate hob. Like this (this is similar to mine) - the cheapest oven like this would be about £190/ $245

$_86-2.JPG

You can have an electric or gas hob - but increasingly people are choosing the super easy to clean ceramic hob - which I am intending to get installed soon.
They are not very expensive (depends what you call expensive!) - you can get one for about £120/ $155

images-256.jpeg

@morning glory

In new homes the cook top is separate from the oven or ovens which are usually mounted at eye level. Our home was built in the late 70's when free standing ranges were the thing. I would lose too much cabinet space if I installed a wall oven. I could install a separate oven and cook top one above the other like the one in your photo.

Dual fuel ranges start at $2,200 and go up from there - and up and up and up. We do need to replace the range and the vent hood. IDK - maybe if George is in a really good mood I can convince him to install a propane tank outside of the kitchen and let me get a dual fuel range. Or a system like the one in your photo.

My second choice would be a ceramic top range. A gas range is by far my first choice. You have so much more control with gas.

Sigh - we can all dream.

Dual fuel ranges start at $2,200 and go up from there
:eek:

I just did a quick search - is this the sort of thing you mean? I wasn't sure. This is the very cheapest model (double size) and costs £599 /$387. But there are cheaper one's if you just have a single size oven and hob.

beko_bdvf100x_ss_01_l-2.jpg

I paid about £600 for my Whirlpool oven and hob. That included delivery and fitting. There was quite a price difference if you took it away and fitted it yourself. I had to have them fit it though because both the oven and the hob were different sizes to my old ones and needed the oven surround making smaller and deeper, and the worktop hole making bigger for the hob. The wiring was the easy bit as it was already all there.

:eek:

I just did a quick search - is this the sort of thing you mean? I wasn't sure. This is the very cheapest model (double size) and costs £599 /$387. But there are cheaper one's if you just have a single size oven and hob.

View attachment 10122
Wow that is cheap. A lot of cooker for £600. I wonder why they are so expensive in the USA?

Back
Top Bottom