Do you rinse chicken?

Yes, so I read. I wash them well and lay on paper towels to dry. After a few hours, I will turn them and wait for them to dry. My stuffed or sauteed mushrooms are very delicious. 😃
Well I am not about to go to that much trouble. I wash my mushroom, stems NOT trimmed, dry them with a towel then trim the stems and use.

Supposedly washing mushrooms causes them to absorb water. I am out of mushrooms but I will perform a very scientific experiment and prove that supposition wrong as soon as I get to the store.

We had another thread about this. There is very little evidence that washing them makes any difference apparently, despite the fact that many sources/chefs tell you not to.

Supposedly washing mushrooms causes them to absorb water. I am out of mushrooms but I will perform a very scientific experiment and prove that supposition wrong as soon as I get to the store.
Alton Brown beat you to it. :)

My favorite, though, is in one of Jacques Pepin's episodes, and if you're familiar with him, he has the loveliest, gentlest accent, so soothing, and when he talked about mushrooms, he mentioned that many people say not to wash them, then, in the kindest way possible, he said something like, "No. When something is dirty, you wash it. You wash it!"

If I may say an 80yo man is cute, he's cute when he's trying to scold his audience for not washing their mushrooms.

Yes, I always wash chicken and lay it on paper towels to dry. Whole chickens, I hold under the faucet and run water thru the body cavity and sort of move it in a circular motion as I let the water run through it.

Mod Comment: A health & safety warning. The views in this thread supporting washing chicken are the individual choices of members and are not views being promoted by CookingBites. The scientific advice is quite clear about this. It is not safe to wash poultry, so if you choose to do so it is at your own risk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom