Do you rinse your rice before cooking it?

Local time
8:26 AM
I have always been in the habit of rinsing my rice before putting it into the pot. I was just wondering if there was anyone who never does this or does not think it is necessary. I tend to do the same thing with peas also. In fact, I think the peas tend to need more rinsing than the rice judging from the residue I see coming off in the water after I rinse them.

I have always done this too. I was told that it was necessary to wash off any rice dust particles before cooking. Whether it's true or not, I have no idea, but I've been doing it for years.

Another one who rinses the rice before cooking. I have no idea why I do it other than my mum did it so if it's good enough for my mum, it's good enough for me.:laugh:

I don't know that it is necessary to rinse the rice to 'clean' it but I do rinse it to remove husks and other bits that I don't want in the rice.
40+ years ago my folks would rinse the rice several time and remove a lot of husks and grit. There is hardly any now.

I used to, but I don't now.

I found out that if I rinse the rice before cooking it, not only are the vitamins & minerals washed away, but so is the nice nutty smell & flavor of the rice. :wink:

I still do it, in fact I take it a notch up and rinse it about thrice, the third rinse would come in after I have boiled the rice for a few minutes then I would be satisfied with it! I suppose mine is just habitual really and also to reduce the starch in the rice!

I never thought to do this until all the talk about arsenic in rice. I primarily cook brown rice and not only was I not rinsing it, I wasn't adding extra water or changing the water or any of the other things people do with white rice. It's not all rice that has arsenic, but when you don't know where your rice is coming from...

I've come to like the slight stickiness of the rice, especially the short-grain rice! And since I've been cooking River or Carolina Rice, I've been liking THAT more than the parboiled rice.
I mainly use the parboiled rice when I want to cook it in something, such as Hoppin' John or Chicken & Rice. :wink:

I do not, but I did see on Dr. Oz that you should actually rinse your rise before cooking it because of the arsenic that can be found in white rice. So I guess I probably should start rinsing mine! :unsure:

Definitely, every time! I have learned from my mother that you must always rinse rice before cooking, otherwise it will taste rancid. And indeed it does. I was lazy one day in college and decided to cook my rice without rinsing it before cooking. It turned out tasting weird and I couldn't eat it! Maybe it tastes fine for those that aren't used to rinsing, but for me who has always done it and always learned it like that with my mom it is wrong not to!

Arsenic in rice?!

Supposedly, and it has been proven, that white rice stays fresh for a very long time. I know.

I bought a 25-lb bag of white rice that lasted for almost a year. Nothing went wrong with it! It was just as fresh as the day that it was bought. Bought another one, this one weighing 20lbs, before Christmas.

Brown rice, on the other hand, does not last as long. It tends to start spoiling in probably about 4 or 5 months. There is the outer hull that is left on brown rice that helps it retain its healthful benefits, and if the rice is kept too long, the natural oils in the hull on the rice can begin to go rancid - making the rice have a very sickening rancid-smelling odor quite similar to old oil or grease that has been around for far too long!

I threw out some old brown rice that I had for too long. Went to open the bag, and Whoa!!! Wait a minute!! This is not smelling right!! :eek:

Last edited:
And we thought that brown rice was supposed to be healthier for us than white rice!! What do they know?!! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom