Do you save bacon fat?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
4:16 PM
Mod.edit: post moved from an old thread to start a new one

I do in the fridge. Then I use some of it to help season a pot of greens or dried beans! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure do. My grandmother, farm wife, used to keep it on the stove, it never went in the fridge, but she used it every day and added hot fresh bacon grease every day so I guess it didn't go bad since none of us died of food poisoning. I keep mine in the fridge.

I make pork crackling all the time, so fat gathers at. Bottom of the pan, I collect it after the cook and store in the fridge. I use it to cook my roast veges in, we call it dripping here.

Russ

I used to, but there's been so many times that my wife has thrown it out thinking that it was something old that had gone bad that I just plan ahead on rendering bacon as needed for a recipe.

Plus, I get to eat the tailings, as it were.

Same goes for pork skin from Easter hams and such.

My late grandfather used to. He kept it on the stove. He mainly used it for bacon tomato gravy. One of ny favorite dishes of his as a kid.

My late grandfather used to. He kept it on the stove. He mainly used it for bacon tomato gravy. One of ny favorite dishes of his as a kid.

What's bacon tomato gravy? 3 great words in a row can't be bad.

Back
Top Bottom