Do you still enjoy ?

Sunday roast. It was always a big event when I was growing up. Fond memories of helping my grandmother in the kitchen, mixing stuff, being sent to the garden to fetch things. Prep would start mid morning, there would always be a big roasted joint, lashings of fresh veg from the garden, unctious gravy, a pie for pudding (rhubarb, apple, strawberry, whatever was in season) and a fruit cake would always go in the hot oven after the meat came out.
Forty years on and the tradition is still kept alive in our house.

Sunday roast. It was always a big event when I was growing up. Fond memories of helping my grandmother in the kitchen, mixing stuff, being sent to the garden to fetch things. Prep would start mid morning, there would always be a big roasted joint, lashings of fresh veg from the garden, unctious gravy, a pie for pudding (rhubarb, apple, strawberry, whatever was in season) and a fruit cake would always go in the hot oven after the meat came out.
Forty years on and the tradition is still kept alive in our house.

That takes me back :okay::hungry:

I don't know if it is actually a meal, but actually sitting down for a meal, together, at a table. We always did this on a Wednesday when we were picked up from school in the afternoon by my grandfather and taken to their home until 9pm. Our evening meal was always around the round table they had in their sitting room. Whenever i stayed over, or when I actually lived with them, if my grandfather was home for the meal, then it was around the table. When he wasn't home then we ate breakfast and lunch at the kitchen breakfast counter.

However, if I had to name a meal that took me back to my childhood, it would be my grandmother's vegetable lasagne. I have a vegan version of it now, and used to make the original version of it for my grandfather right up until his death this time last year.

Boiled ham, potato, peas and parsley sauce. Food heaven on a plate.

My grandmother and I go on holiday for a week together every year and we have this as our supper on the first night at the cabin we stay at.

Back
Top Bottom