Do you take any of your own kitchen gear when vacationing?

I have not recently even considered taking kitchen utensils on holiday. We did when I was pre-teen in the 50s when we were caravaning and early 70s when we were "camping"; but since then, no.

[Edit: I tell a lie, we did take utensils to the Formula 1 meetings but they were already in the caravan.]

The Mcilhenny Tobasco Company is 20 miles from my home. I have visited many times. Tabasco is an excellent example of marketing genius. Few products are so readily available and popular in so many countries.

Every package of MREs (meals ready to eat) carried by U.S. military has a bottle of Tabasco in it.

Every package of MREs (meals ready to eat) carried by U.S. military has a bottle of Tabasco in it.

I wasn't aware of that. Apparently the bottle size is less than 4 ml which is tiny.

F03-3704400-3100bg.jpg

Things I have been known to take with me:

Sharp knife
Tongs for turning food on the grill
Decent vegetable peeler that fits nicely in my hand
Non-stick pan for scrambled egg
Decent frying pan
Caserole dish
Dish with lid for cooking in the microwave

S & P
a couple of stock cubes
a little pot with a bit of plain flour for making a sauce
a little pot of sugar

Oh My Gosh, @Kake Lover, you are a woman after my own heart! Not the same items, but I've probably taken as many items on a vacation or three. Over the years I take less and we go out to eat more. Still, my two knives always vacation with us...as does my 15 ounce drinking mug. The cups in any resort we've stayed at are tiny. :giggle:

I nearly always book self catering so I can cook on holiday (unless its just a very short stay). I take:
A very sharp chef's knife
Oyster knife
Mandolin
Small hand-held julienne cutter
Microplane (for grating garlic, parmesan or zesting)
Non-stick frying pan
Pizza pan (sometimes)

I also take a variety of fresh and dried herbs and spices, chillies, garlic and onions. Depending on what I plan to cook I sometimes take cornflour, flour and tinned tomatoes, dried mushrooms and a host of other things!

Last edited:
Every other year, in October, I spend a week with a dear friend in Buffalo Gap, Tx. It is about 20 miles west of Abilene. A VERY small town. The first time I visited my friend took me on a tour of the town in her golf cart. We arrive on Friday. Our Hubbies dove hunt over the weekend then go to Odessa (2 hours further west) for the Permian Basin Oil Show.

Friend's Hubby travels as much, if not more than mine. She cooks very little. Breakfast. A few basics. Usually Mississippi Southern that she learned from her mother. I bring an ice chest of goodies to cook for her. She has a good wood cutting board and I have convinced her to use sea salt and fresh ground pepper. She has not embraced butter over margarine, EVOO, no vinegar other than plain white vinegar. The only cheese she uses is sliced or shredded Kraft. Not even Sargento. Fresh herbs and spices are non existent in her pantry/fridge. She uses dried onion flakes and granulated garlic.

So - I bring my Japanese chef knife, micro plainer and grater. She loves Boudin so that is in the ice chest. Shrimp and crawfish, an assortment of fresh and dried herbs and spices. Saturday we make a trip to Abilene for staples - onions, garlic, peppers, celery, real cheese, butter and whatever else I may need to cook with. I pick up veggies that she does not normally eat - asparagus for one. She nearly swooned the first time she ate pan grilled asparagus with a Beurre Blanc sauce. We also stop at the liquor store.

This is an off year. We do get to visit between trips at Conferences and Golf Tournaments that our guys participate in.

So - I bring my Japanese chef knife, micro plainer and grater. She loves Boudin so that is in the ice chest. Shrimp and crawfish, an assortment of fresh and dried herbs and spices. Saturday we make a trip to Abilene for staples - onions, garlic, peppers, celery, real cheese, butter and whatever else I may need to cook with. I pick up veggies that she does not normally eat - asparagus for one. She nearly swooned the first time she ate pan grilled asparagus with a Beurre Blanc sauce.

How lovely! You would think she would be convinced to try more things herself after your visits. BTW, you are welcome to come and cook for me anytime you are in the UK. I'll just pretend I can't cook and you can take over. :D

When, many years ago, I went scuba diving I always carried a Remora dive knife as part of my kit. It was razor sharp and held its cutting edge beautifully. I never used the knife in anger while under water, but often used it for food preparation as I always volunteered to be the dive club cook when we were away on dive trips. I have never yet found a better knife or preparing veg and fruit, even down to slicing tomatoes into ten or more slices, not that I did it very often.

BTW, you are welcome to come and cook for me anytime you are in the UK. I'll just pretend I can't cook and you can take over. :D

Fat chance! On your turf you would have to cook. Visit me and I will cook up a storm. With plenty of wine.

You would think she would be convinced to try more things herself after your visits

Cooking is just not her thing. Her talents lie elsewhere. Her house is adorable. She combines the most unusual things in very creative ways. She is the Queen of painted furniture. Unexpected color combinations and patterns that work amazingly well together.

Back
Top Bottom