Do you think baking saves money?

Local time
4:07 PM
I've been really into baking lately for some reason. I've never really been the cooking, nor baking type, so it's sort of random for me. We've been trying to save a lot of money before the baby is here, and I've been wondering if all of this baking will save us money? If I freeze certain things, and make them in bulk, do you think we'd save money as opposed to buying prepacked bakery items or other foods?

I have also been into baking lately. I think it is because the seasons changed and I bake more when it gets colder out. I do think that baking saves money but you really have to bake in bulk for the savings to show up in large quantities. Yes, freezing the baked goods is a nice way to save money. I really don't think that we are saving as much as we would like to think though. Especially if you consider your time to be of any value.

Technically, you should save money if you bake, rather than buy quality baked goods... (talking about bread and cakes)

However....

Over here at least, there are plenty of very cheap options to buy bread and cakes. They aren't necessarily high quality, but if all you want is bulk, or a sweet hit, they do. I can get a sliced loaf for 50p, and that does my breakfast and work lunches for a week. If I baked, the ingredients might not come to 50p, but there's the fuel to cost in too. Also, if I have a homebaked loaf, I'll slice it thick, so I'd get far fewer slices out of it!

And with cake - I don't often buy cake for myself day to day, because I'm on a budget, and I just do without. If we bake, I eat it. So the baked cake might be cheaper than the bought one, but I wouldn't have bought the bought one to start with!

So the answer is... it depends!

Back
Top Bottom