Do you use a mandoline slicer?

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
3:52 AM
My Dad was a carpenter, I was brought up with saws, chisels etc
I joined the Scouts and used various knives, saws, and axes
I did biology in the 6th form and at university, and used scalpels
My hobby was, and still is, making model planes, so I used craft knives and the scalpels left from my dissecting kit
By that time I had my own home with my own collection of kitchen knives
When I was made redundant I retrained as a chef, and was confident using knives at college and subsequently at work in different kitchens

Yes, I've had nicks, scratches, and minor cuts over the years but the only time I cut myself seriously was on a mandolin

You've probably noticed that professional kitchens have just simple, basic, well made equipment with hardly any gadgets to speak of. But on that occasion the kitchen manager was something of a gear freak and insisted that we used a mandolin, mainly to justify the money he'd spent on gadgets
I never used one again; and don't and won't have one in my kitchen.

My Dad was a carpenter, I was brought up with saws, chisels etc

My dad was a carpenter too!

When I was made redundant I retrained as a chef, and was confident using knives at college and subsequently at work in different kitchens

Where did you work if you don't mind me asking... what type of establishments?

I've noticed that the mandolins used in professional kitchens are often (always?) used without guards. The one I use (and I use it a lot) I generally use with the 'guard' which is a plastic thing with small prongs to grip the food - that way there is no danger at all of cutting yourself.

Sometimes I simply hold the item to be sliced in place with the flat of my hand - never gripped between fingers!

I have an OXO mandolin. Now that I have my Japanese chef knife I do not use it as much. My knife skills are not as good as I would like so I pull out the mandolin when I want perfectly uniform slices. I don't use the guard. I did take the tips off of 3 fingers once. Trying to do two things at one - slice with the mandolin and talk to George. On occasion I will use it for paper thin slicing - potato chips (crisps).

Mandoline.jpg

Here's mine!! :wink:

'Chef' is perhaps a bit of a grand title. I gained NVQ 3 and a couple of C&G certificates & diplomas to a reasonably high level, but the only paid work I did was as a cook in a B&B and as a cook in an old people's home and then a kitchen manager-cum-cook in another
So I didn't have the intense pressures of a busy restaurant kitchen, but there was pressure as all the recording, documentation, and cleaning had to be meticulous
The food wasn't too adventurous, just plain British scoff

But I've always been keen to have very sharp knives, and I don't do recipes that need wafer thin slices so I don't need a mandolin

Incidentally when I did botany & biology at school & university we cut very thin sections of stems & leaves with a botanical razor. It's like a cut throat razor but one side is flat, not hollow ground. That was tricky to cut the sections thin enough by hand - they had to be only one cell thick
Then I moved on to a microtome, which is basically a posh mandolin

Ah but; I used the botanical razor then I was about 17 & 18, I'm fairly certain I couldn't do that now!

Since I retired I've taken up knife making.
Some people grind or forge their own blades but you have to be pretty keen to do that. I just buy in ready made blades then fit my own handles. I've also learned leatherwork to make the sheaths; this also need sharp tools

If you're interested here are a couple of websites

www.edgematters.uk A general makers & collectors forum
www.brisa.fi Knife making is a big hobby in Scandinavia. This will show you the sorts of blades & materials available, including cook's knife blades

Moonraker Knives and English Handmade Knives are British suppliers. English..... have a reasonable selection of cook's knife blades
Texas Knife Supply is a well known American supplier, but I'm sure there will be others

Also search YouTube for 'knife handle making'

Since I retired I've taken up knife making.
My Brother makes knives. He does grind his own blades and makes both the handle and sheath. He gave me a wonderful horse butt strop that I treat with 50,000 grit diamond paste. I use it every time I use my knife.

Most of his knives are hunting knives or utility knives. He is working on a paring knife for SIL. His first attempt at making a culinary knife.

but there was pressure as all the recording, documentation, and cleaning had to be meticulous
I'll bet. Health & Safety and all that! One thing I'm very aware of is how different it is to work professionally as a cook/chef form home-cooking. So I have enormous admiration for professionals.

That was tricky to cut the sections thin enough by hand - they had to be only one cell thick

You'd be good at making Strawberry Dust - the strawberries need slicing wafer thin...

Back
Top Bottom