Do you use a mandoline slicer?

I use a Japanese Benriner mandoline, don't use it too often, but when you require a really finely sliced product...!!!
Also have a stainless mesh glove ..when getting down to the thin parts.. mandoline cuts are not fun! (been there, done that!)

benriner mandoline.jpg

Ive been a chef for 18 years and Mandolins still worry me. I use one most weeks, every time i see another chef pick one up i feel a little sick. Were often very busy and moving as fast as possible, pieces of kit like a mandolin really help with speed and consistancy but can end up very bloody. As a head chef your responsible for the kitchens well being and safty. Unfortunalty ive seen a lot of injuries, the worst coming from a mandolin

I had one but it became my "used only once" mandolin before I threw it away.
This gadget took the tip of my little finger off when I was slicing white cabbage, which wouldn't stay put and fell apart when pinned in the slicer veg holder. I ended up holding the cabbage in my right hand and didn't realise just how quickly the slicer devoured it. Lesson learned.

I have cut the tips off of my index finger, middle finger and ring finger on my right hand in one miss slip of a mandolin. I am not a stranger to knife cuts. It happens. I would rather have a cut from a sharp knife rather than a not so sharp knife. A cut from a sharp knife is clean. It is easier to heal a clean cut. A cut from a not so sharp knife leaves ragged skin that does not heal as well.

I have one but lost the important flat blade when we moved. I don' really use the crinkly blades so I'm thinking of investing in a little handheld one. I'l check out the oxo one @Yorky Do you need to push it against something or is it really sharp? I' thinking my old one was poor quality as is hard work.

I have one but lost the important flat blade when we moved. I don' really use the crinkly blades so I'm thinking of investing in a little handheld one. I'l check out the oxo one @Yorky Do you need to push it against something or is it really sharp? I' thinking my old one was poor quality as is hard work.

I'm no expert but I guess it depends upon what you are slicing. Hard carrots are not easy and if I'm only slicing one, I'll revert to the knife and chopping board. For bulk slicing of carrots, I'll use the processor. Cucumber, tomatoes, onions, shallots, small(ish) potatoes and the like are quite easy without any additional restraint. However, attempting to slice galangal without the guard can cause serious injury (as I discovered).

As I mentioned, I don't like mandolins, and I'm happy enough with the knives that I have, which includes a Henkels Twin Pollux 'westernised' santoku

If you want to cut thin slices you could also consider a Japanese knife that has one side of the cutting edge kept flat. They often have a hammered finish, called tsuchime, which helps prevent the food from sticking to the blade

Search Google for 'Japanese single bevel knife'

If you want to cut thin slices you could also consider a Japanese knife that has one side of the cutting edge kept flat. They often have a hammered finish, called tsuchime, which helps prevent the food from sticking to the blade

Search Google for 'Japanese single bevel knife'
One of my 'psycho' knives fits the bill perfectly :D

Back
Top Bottom