Do You Use a Meat Thermometer All The Time?

I have never owned one and therefore never used one. I was reading an article today about pan frying beef steak and it advised using one. However, the chef's recommendation for a 25 mm steak was 12 to 15 minutes (total, both sides). That would be cremation for beef steak in my opinion so I don't think I'll bother buying one.

I do use one quite often, but then I tend to experiment a lot with different joints of meat and different cooking methods so a digital thermometer gives me a bit of consistency.

I wouldn't fancy that steak. Overcooked for me, by about 10 minutes.

I don't always get it right but for me this is close to spot on!

filet, chips mushrooms 0 s.jpg

That's about 30mm thick and was cooked 3 minutes both sides. My recently purchased (but not yet received) blow lamp may provide me with a little more scope.

It's called "Filet Mignon" by the "supplier". A cut from the thick end of the fillet I would assume. That piece was Bht 225.00 (just over a fiver) for 250 gms. I have no idea from where it originates but it is unlikely to be Thai beef.

It's called "Filet Mignon" by the "supplier". A cut from the thick end of the fillet I would assume. That piece was Bht 225.00 (just over a fiver) for 250 gms. I have no idea from where it originates but it is unlikely to be Thai beef.
That's excellent value. Regular fillet is around £38/kilo here. Then again, I can melt some Stilton over the top without raising a mortgage :)

The only time I use a thermometer is for a big roast. I've gotten used to poking the meat I'm cooking to be able to determine doneness on smaller cuts like steaks, loins, tenderloins, chicken breasts, and so on. But on something big, something that is too big to accurately poke, I use a probe with external readout thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom