Do you use coupons?

MoniqueS

Veteran
Local time
4:47 AM
Website
youngandpennywise.tumblr.com
Do you actively use coupons to save on groceries? If so, what kinds of coupons do you normally use? I normally get mine through websites like websaver, smartsource and save.ca. I also get the odd insert in the paper. When I'm feeling more ambitious I actually email companies for manufacturer coupons.

I only use money off coupons on stuff that I had already planned to purchase. You don't save money if you don't use the product for it goes off, so you do have to be very careful. So if it is on our shopping list for the week and we have the coupon, yes. If it is something we would normally purchase, but maybe next week we will keep it for next week, but if it is not something we would normally purchase, we don't fall into the trap of purchasing it simply because we have a money off coupon for it!

Yes. I do.

I changed my entire approach to grocery shopping a few years ago (3 or 4) and began tracking my weekly spending and savings on an Excel spreadsheet. I wouldn't call myself an "extreme" couponer, and I didn't change anything about the way we EAT, but since figuring out how to pair coupons with sale prices, how to wait for the best price on my staple items, and how to maximize drug store "cash back," I've lowered my grocery budget by an entire 30%. My family has grown by 3, but my budget is still lower than when my husband and I were just the two of us.

I buy 2 Sunday papers when their are coupons in them, I have 2 app's on my phone that do cash-back (rebates), and I'll use printable coupons when available for the things I need. This method has become my habit so that I now spend no more than an hour getting my shopping lists and coupons ready each week, but I actually started very slowly--just with diapers at first--and have been able to get better with time.

I use coupons as frequently as I can. Whether I am buying groceries, or eating out, I always try to seek out coupons first. I look for coupons AFTER I make my grocery list and AFTER I make up my mind on where I want to eat out at. If I clip coupons before making my grocery list, I end up spending more money than neccessary because I buy things only because I have a coupon. That is not saving money! So, after making my gorcery list, I then go online and look for coupons for the items on my list. The same with eating out. Once my husband and I decide where we want to go, then I go online and see if that resturant has any specials, deals or coupons.
In fact, I just used a coupon today so I'll share it with you.
Here is a link to a FREE Auntie Anne's pretzel when you buy an order of mini pretzel dogs. http://www.auntieannespretzelcoupon....140111224147:s
This offer is valid for 24 hours. It will expire on January 12, 2014, 4:51 p.m (Tomorrow)
I used this coupon today at the Auntie Anne's in the mall and it worked! You can print it, or just show it to them on your mobile phone or tablet!

I absolutely love coupons. With six children, I don't know what I would do without my coupons. To think that there was even a time when I did not use them. When I learned that i could get free stuff using them, I was so happy. I've even earned money from using coupons.

I use coupons all the time and I especially like to pair them with items on sale. My favorite supermarket, Smith's, occasionally has a special where if one buys 5 of certain designated items, one gets 50 cents an item off. One doesn't have to buy 5 of the same product, one can mix and match the items as long as they are all listed on the special. So a certain pasta I like is normally 99 cents a package, the special knocks the price down to 49 cents each and I have a coupon for a dollar off two packages. So essentially the store will be paying me 2 cents to take the pasta home. Not all the items are such a deal; for instance my favorite coffee creamer normall sells for $2.99 a bottle, the special knocks off 50 cents and I have a coupon for a dollar off two bottles. So I'll get them for $1.99 each which is still a good price.

I am careful to only use coupons for things I would normally buy, but if I have a good coupon for a new product I'd like to try, I'll buy it. It would depend on the price of course, and how interested I am in trying the new product.

My store also has a loyalty club of which I'm a member and they send me coupons in the mail which are personalized based on my purchasing history. Sometimes they'll send me coupons for free items: "We like you so much here are some free English Muffins". One also accumulates points based on spending and I use my points to get money off gallons of gasoline. For each 100 points, one gets 10 cents off a gallon. I fill all my presciptions at the store's pharmacy because they give me 50 points for each perscription, so I often get 40 or 50 cents off a gallon when I buy gas, which is a nice little perk.

My credit card company and mall rewards programs send me the coupons and I use them when I go grocery shopping. It helps to be a member of your supermarket group because they just send you this stuff for free just so they can have space in the stockroom.

Couponing is not such a large hobby in the UK like some of the programmes that come out of the states ,but if it's there for using most people use them ,remember quite often coupons are a temp yo get you to spend more money or get your attention

I am planning to migrate to the States to get me some coupons....maybe not. Some time ago I was told about folks who live comfortably off of coupons and have racked up some wealth in the process. Sadly we don't have much if any coupons available in or country. A few rewards programs and that's about it. Caribbean girl can correct me if I am wrong especially since I don't do much local grocery shopping.

I use coupons all the time. My favorite supermarket sends me coupons based on what I normally buy there (I have a preferred card) and I get great deals. Today I bought some sausage which was discounted on my card and in addition I had a buy-one-get-one-free coupon from the newspaper so I got two packages of sausage for $1.99. One must be diligent, though. The coupons expire, sometimes faster than one might think. And I buy all my makeup and hair products with coupons. My favorite hair styling gel has a coupon for $3.00 off two quite often and I run out and buy two as soon as I see the coupon. I have quite a few of them in my bathroom cupboard. One never knows when they will stop offering the coupons. I bought some popcorn for my Dad the other day. The popcorn was on sale for $1.00 and I had a 75 cent off coupon for it so I ended up spending 25 cents for the popcorn that usually costs $2.99. I was happy.

I just realized I already responded to this thread. Forgive me, I've been away for awhile.

I use coupons only for what I need. I do not purchase an item just because I have a coupon. I try to use the coupon and the sale item together to maximize the savings. I like to use coupons for office items like ink.

I mainly buy store brands and generic products, so I don't use many coupons for food products. I do use coupons for pet products, such as cat littler and cat food. I love when coupons are put on the packages, so I can use them then, or if I already have a coupon, can save them and use them the next time I'm shopping. I use the Walmart Savings Catcher App, so if I do buy something that is not generic or store brand, and it's on sale for less money somewhere else (that they compare prices to), I will get money back.

I use coupons when I think they are good enough. Most of the time it is cheaper to buy generic. However, I recently had a two for one coupon with name brand catfood and I used that one. I also like to combine coupons with a print coupon, and an electronic store coupon for further savings, or a site that will give you money off for shopping It is clever to get paid twice for a purchase.

Back
Top Bottom