Do you use natural medicine?

pinkcherrychef

Local time
3:07 PM
Natural medicine do you use it? Do you think it works?
By natural medicine I mean herbal remedies and plant remedies. You know like your great grandma's mustard plastar recipe lol.Medicine that is made from natural things instead of man made.

Last edited:
Natural medicine do you use it? Do you think it works?

Yes and no really. A lot of prescription medication is plant based in any case. Digoxin, for example, which I've taken for a heart condition in the past is extracted from foxgloves. I'm sure there are lots of natural remedies that work very well but I'm no expert and can't really say I've tried them. The internet abounds with information such things much of which contains conflicting advice.

One of the latest fads has been turmeric which is supposed to cure everything from acne and arthritis to cancer! It does contain a natural anti-inflammatory - circumin but I think it would be foolish to self-medicate any serious illness using it.

When I was a teenager, I used a medicinal herb that wasn't legal at the time. Now it is being legalized in most of the country for medicinal purpose and some states allow for recreational use.

Yes and no really. A lot of prescription medication is plant based in any case. Digoxin, for example, which I've taken for a heart condition in the past is extracted from foxgloves. I'm sure there are lots of natural remedies that work very well but I'm no expert and can't really say I've tried them. The internet abounds with information such things much of which contains conflicting advice.

One of the latest fads has been turmeric which is supposed to cure everything from acne and arthritis to cancer! It does contain a natural anti-inflammatory - circumin but I think it would be foolish to self-medicate any serious illness using it.

I also take digoxin along with Coreg for a heart condition. A homeopathic? Cardiologist was referred to me, but I am hesitant about stopping those kinds of medications in place herbal remedies for fear of a stroke.
@morning glory, did you stop digoxin, and did you have any adverse side effects. I would love to stop it, and don't want blood thinners.

Last edited:
@morning glory, did you stop digoxin, and did you have any adverse side effects. I would love to stop it, and don't want blood thinners.

It was many years ago and only for a short term. I was then put on beta blockers. I agree that when it comes to heart conditions it would be potentially dangerous to trust in natural remedies. There is usually no harm in taking them alongside conventional medication though (always check with your doc first).

Back
Top Bottom