Do your cookbooks go "out of date"?

I am used to going online to look for recipes. Sometimes back I used my mom's cookbooks. I do not like having the same recipes now and again. I do like changing the types of food that I eat. Meaning, I do search for new recipes online, daily.

Yes, I have a few cookbooks that are very outdated. That is more the measurements and cooking methods.
A teacup of sugar, butter the size of an egg etc.
Cook in hot oven. No time given.

Cook books are never out of date IMO. In the least they're history and if with bad recipes are a good addition to a play kitchen at a preschool.

Cook books are never out of date IMO. In the least they're history and if with bad recipes are a good addition to a play kitchen at a preschool.
I think its true that even cookbooks with old bad recipes can still be fun. I have a few of those myself. The recipes can still provide ideas and as a fairly experienced cook I can adapt them to work.

I think its true that even cookbooks with old bad recipes can still be fun. I have a few of those myself. The recipes can still provide ideas and as a fairly experienced cook I can adapt them to work.
On another site, I got into an argument because all my old, new and in between cookbooks had a recipe that called for one or two ingredients. These two said no that doesn't need either of those because my relative never used them and it was a southern recipe. Only northerners use those ingredients.
I found that rather odd as I have 100's of southern cookbooks including some old ones from the state this woman claimed the recipe came from and every one of them call for a leavening agent of some kind.
But she insisted my grandmother made this so I am right and you are wrong. And told me I have no clue about old recipes.
Her grandmother made polenta and called it cornbread.

Now last time I looked at a bread unless it was a flat bread, there is always a leavening agent of some sort. Even some flat breads have a bit of leavening agent.

Sure! I remember my gradmother...she used to put quite a lot of oil when she was cooking. And she used to eat 5/7 vegetables...sometimes she was eating meat only Sundays. So yes...it can be different than what are we eating today, but we were 10-15 who were enjoying her meals! Oh...and every day she was baking bread (the most delicious bread ever)

The only way I can see cookbooks going out of date, is the ingredients used.

Not all may be available now, or as readily available. Others having taken their place.

I'll have to one of mine(part of a larger book) out. Dates from the late 1800's.

The only way I can see cookbooks going out of date, is the ingredients used.

Not all may be available now, or as readily available. Others having taken their place.

I'll have to one of mine(part of a larger book) out. Dates from the late 1800's.

It would be interesting to see a recipe or two from that book!

Back
Top Bottom