Dog chews

foodlover

Veteran
Local time
8:53 PM
Is there a way to make dog chews.

Mine love to chew on those hard sticks, not the bone things, but they do cost a bit.

I also heard that they are not very good for a dog, so is there a natural thing I can make for the dogs instead?

The only problem is that electric dehydrators are expensive unless you are using them a lot. I might try the oven method or air drying.

Interesting article, but most of the options my dogs might go for look more expensive than buying dog chews. However, if I could get them to eat dried runner beans that would be a real winner as we always have a glut of these in late summer. Man maths is telling me it's probably time to invest in a dehydrater!

The only problem is that electric dehydrators are expensive unless you are using them a lot. I might try the oven method or air drying.

My sister-in-law had a dehydrator that they use for coming up with dried fruits. It's pretty good for they give us samples. Once in a while we borrow that device to make dried camias or mangoes. But when they left for the US some years ago, it's only now that I realized their absence... no more dehydrator to borrow.

With dog chews, I sometimes buy the jerky which looks good for the teeth of the puppy. But when our dog is more than a year old, I do not give it dog chew anymore.

I have my dehydrator running alot when its harvest time. I dry all kinds of things and keep them in jars. Its time consuming yes. But worth it. I dry kale for example, and grind it to use as a powder for a quick boost in any foods at all. Like @Corzhens says, jerky is a good one to use too since they need to chew it a lot. My friend makes her own jerky and often times her dogs eat most of it.

Interesting article, but most of the options my dogs might go for look more expensive than buying dog chews. However, if I could get them to eat dried runner beans that would be a real winner as we always have a glut of these in late summer. Man maths is telling me it's probably time to invest in a dehydrater!
Dogs and Beans :eek:

We used to get dried pigs ears for the dog to chew on,maybe worth a Google to see the last gist ice of making them

My dog loves beans in any shape or form, but especially baked beans. And NO, they don't have any effect - commercially made dog chews are far worse in that respect :wink:
You are lucky - all of ours have always had a 'poor' reaction to beans :facepalm:- still if it's ok for your dog fair enough

Back
Top Bottom